Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Engine oil cap missing

Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil cap missing

I think my dealer forgot the oil cap when I had an oil change done there 2 weeks ago. So I've been running without the cap for 2 weeks, in the city and through a dirty trail. Is this something I should be worry about? Anything to check?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id get a cap and get the oil changed... or the filter at the least
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 AM
JK Jedi

My dealer did this to me once, luckily I checked it when I got home and had to take it right back to get the cap replaced. I now check it at the dealership. As recommended, I would take to them and get the oil changed on their dime, also get some sort of written admission to this mistake just in case.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
My dealer did this to me once, luckily I checked it when I got home and had to take it right back to get the cap replaced. I now check it at the dealership. As recommended, I would take to them and get the oil changed on their dime, also get some sort of written admission to this mistake just in case.
This is why I change my own oil.

1. 5W20 Synth Mobile1, which most quicklubes don't even carry.
2. New oil filter with oil rubbed on the gasket to create a better seal,which they *never* do at quick lube places but should always do.
3. Never over-tighten the oil pan stop, which is something quick lube places *always* do.
4. Never forget to replace the oil cap. Who does this?! Seriously.
5. Grease the steering linkage, but I only do this every 6 months or so. Since mine aren't zerked and I'm too lazy to drill them, I use a needle, which works fine as long as you don't stab 500 different holes into the cups. Greasing the linkage is something quicklubes often skip/forget to do.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hPOD
This is why I change my own oil.

1. 5W20 Synth Mobile1, which most quicklubes don't even carry.
2. New oil filter with oil rubbed on the gasket to create a better seal,which they *never* do at quick lube places but should always do.
3. Never over-tighten the oil pan stop, which is something quick lube places *always* do.
4. Never forget to replace the oil cap. Who does this?! Seriously.
5. Grease the steering linkage, but I only do this every 6 months or so. Since mine aren't zerked and I'm too lazy to drill them, I use a needle, which works fine as long as you don't stab 500 different holes into the cups. Greasing the linkage is something quicklubes often skip/forget to do.

Traditionally I have as well, but I got 8 free oil changes when I bought the Jeep so I figured I'd use them, especially since the 5W 20 blend is pricey. I did do one oil change myself and spent about $30 on it (BS).
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me too. Why do you think you get those free oil changes? Cause they get the local homeless retards to change your oil. At least that's what the guy who left my oil cap off looked like, and I think he was drinkin a little more than just coffee.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cim330
I think my dealer forgot the oil cap when I had an oil change done there 2 weeks ago. So I've been running without the cap for 2 weeks, in the city and through a dirty trail. Is this something I should be worry about? Anything to check?
someone on here changed their own oil and forgot the cap and wound up siezing his moter, he opened the hood and the oil was all over engine.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tkob1060
someone on here changed their own oil and forgot the cap and wound up siezing his moter, he opened the hood and the oil was all over engine.

On their JK? THere wasn't any evidnce of oil anywhere in the engine compartment after this happened to me. When I found it I called the dealer and he told me it was fine to drive it back up and get a cap.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Happened to me too. Why do you think you get those free oil changes? Cause they get the local homeless retards to change your oil. At least that's what the guy who left my oil cap off looked like, and I think he was drinkin a little more than just coffee.

The guy that did the change was supposedly "one of their best guys". He met me at the service door and was very embarressed and apologetic. I did have the service manager write me up a signed statement that this happened just in case and he did it without any trouble, and through in a free tire rotation.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
On their JK? THere wasn't any evidnce of oil anywhere in the engine compartment after this happened to me. When I found it I called the dealer and he told me it was fine to drive it back up and get a cap.
Yeah on a jk, cant find the thread, but it said something about he changed the oil himself and forgot to put oil cap back on.

Quick Reply: Engine oil cap missing