Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

esp

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default esp

Can someone explain the esp for me when I should turn it off and such, or do you just shut it off when 4 wheeling?

Red
Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ESP is set up to help you keep all 4 tires planted on the pavement, and to keep your JK from pitching sideways into a rollover, such as from extreme lateral forces when taking a turn too tightly.

Off-pavement, it can severely reduce your wheelspin and sideways movements, which can effectively get you stuck by killing your momentum, and/or not allowing you to spin the tires to dig yourself out of mud, loose soil, etc.

I turn off ESP when I'm off pavement, because it really doesn't help much, and actually can hurt you (as aforementioned). In the wintertime, when there's a lot of fresh snow around and I want to play, I'll shift into 4HI and disable ESP completely, then do 4WD donuts.

(To completely disable ESP in 4HI, hold down the ESP OFF button for 5-7 seconds, until you hear a chime and see "ESP OFF" displayed in place of your odometer. ESP is automatically disabled in 4LO. Note that you can't completely disable ESP in 2WD mode, without modifying your Jeep.)
Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Bro!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

You're very welcome.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default ESP for lifted jeeps

I've got an 07 4-door Rubicon. 3" Teraflex lift and 35" Hankooks. I'm hearing you can't just turn off the ESP on modified Wranglers without going to the dealership. And even the dealerships don't always get it right. And if you take it in, does the dealer give you a hard time about the warantee?

Thanks guys. This site is great.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rockrunner8
I've got an 07 4-door Rubicon. 3" Teraflex lift and 35" Hankooks. I'm hearing you can't just turn off the ESP on modified Wranglers without going to the dealership. And even the dealerships don't always get it right. And if you take it in, does the dealer give you a hard time about the warantee?

Thanks guys. This site is great.
From what I've heard, the TSB to enable "full off" ESP in 2WD mode isn't working all the time... but that's 3rd-hand information. As far as the dealership getting it right, the sad truth is that most Jeep dealers are pretty incompetent when it comes to JKs.

To answer your question about warranty, it's totally subjective and you may get 10 different answers from 10 different dealers. If something breaks and your dealer is a jerk, they'll tell you that because you modified your Jeep, the damage isn't covered under warranty. Then again, if you find an off-road friendly dealership, they may be willing to help you out.

Welcome to the site, and happy Jeeping!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

There is a fuse that you can pull to kill the esp, thats what I do when I go wheeling, not sure you would want to drive on street with it pulled as it also disables the antilock brakes
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

what fuse is it
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Fuse J- 07 on the 07's Might just be j-7 can't remember I did the toggle switch mod. Had a couple beers, can't remember , it's the dang fuse with a j and a 7
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ESP can be completly turned off on all 08 JKs, you get a little yellow sheet of paper in your manual telling you how to do it. It can be trickey tho, it took me forever to get it to work but now my esp is completly off all the time. 07s can be reflashed by the dealer to make the code work on them too.

Quick Reply: esp