Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ESP on or off on icy roads?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this even a question?
This is like those people who still try to pump their ABS brakes.
If you go slow because of it, then you will spin the tires without it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

in four wheel drive i often shut if off, i've been drive mud tires on YJs and TJs for a long time now and i'm used to it not being there, i too hate when it kicks on and leaved me sitting still when what i really want is a little wheel spin to get through the intersection or get me where i'm intending to go. I'm used to the slight slides when gassing it too hard and mudders slip a bit through a turn, and actually i often prefer it. So if the weather is really bad and i'm going really slow, i leave it on for safety and i'm in no hurry, if its just good ole' snow falling and what not, i turn it off and drive as i did in the YJ and TJ i used to own and i'm good to go. Not to mention, a little fishtailing to get into those tight parking spots or make it through tight turns from time to time is always amusing.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I never have mine on......maybe because I know how to handle a rear wheel drive vehicle and would be more worried when doing an evasive move and have the ESP try to fight me...just my 2 cents...
Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I leave mine on. It freaks me out and pisses me off sometimes, but it has also helped a few times in some hairy situations and for that it is worth it.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I leave it on until i want to have fun which is pretty much any time there is snow or ice on the road. It does work really well and has exceding my expectations.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had it come on a couple of times on a ramp that was wet where I didn't think I was close to sliding. However, it did remind me to slow it down. So I will leave it on on icy or rainy conditions.

However, just recently I was making a quick uturn on dry pavement and it popped on. I wasn't going fast.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
on road leave it on

I only wheel in low. I do NOT turn it off in low!!! it'll let you get plenty of wheel spin and the traction control will NOT slow you down in low. it does not cut power. it simply taps the brake on the spinning side to transfer power to the gripping wheels. It WORKS!!!!! I've lifted tires while crawling and had the esp work flawlessly. people couldn't believe I wasn't locked!

in hi.... well I don't know what to tell ya. off road I'm either in 2wd or 4low.

Wow. Anyone else verify this works? Does more power actually transfer or does the spinning wheel simply stop moving?

We need research.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Wow. Anyone else verify this works? Does more power actually transfer or does the spinning wheel simply stop moving?

We need research.
x2! I was getting all worried I didn't opt for the hard top X next to mine on the lot with the LSD (I wanted the soft top.... and didn't have the extra $2grand they wanted...). Maybe this is my answer until I can crack open the axles!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

It does work. The reason for braking the spinning tire is so that more power can be transferred to the wheel that isn't spinning. Otherwise, your spinning wheel would get the full amount of torque from the engine and the wheel on the ground would get nothing. It's not a locker by a long shot.. but, it certainly helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
it absolutely works! search 2k2wranglerx on youtube, youl find my vids. I'm on my pda right now or I'd post em. also I have 2 under mel85cj.

look at the hill climb vids. I get all 4 spinning the whole time. I know there was speculation that locker sales would be hurt. it absolutely works and works well. I've been wheeling mine since october 2006, this is my 9th jeep. I've done my own research and I'm convinced!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you at all. Just would like some proof of this. So I'm guessing the extra rev from the engine does not dissipate as heat as it simply tries to keep spinning the loose tire while the brake simply holds it?

It actually transfers the energy to the floating wheel? I'm just trying to visualize the function here.

Quick Reply: ESP on or off on icy roads?