Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ever seen a cargo rack extend forward of the windshield?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever seen a cargo rack extend forward of the windshield?

I've got a 2dr JK, and I really am interested in installing a good roof rack for use with the soft top, although I go with a brief top most of the time in the summer. Problem is I need a big rack. Has anyone ever seen one that extends forward of the windshield, to or near the front of the hood? I know I've seen them on H1s, and I would really like to find one... Might have to get if fabbed... Thanks for any help.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

Land rovers have had them for years. They went from the back all the way to front. They'd use them to set up a tent off the ground. The one I saw when I lived in italy was hinged above the windshield and then unfolded and connected it to the front bumper.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Yes! That's basically what I'm looking for. Land Rover.... I wonder how the sizing would compare. It might be easier to fabricate an adapter than to make the whole thing... Anyone ever seen one on a Jeep?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/racks/classic.html

This is what I was talking about.
Or this...

http://arbusa.com/Products/Touring-And-Camping-Gear/Rooftop-Tents/43.aspx

You'd like the rack only though yeah?

Last edited by Robar; 06-09-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should put on an exoskeleton at the same time. If you put that much weight on top, you're probably going to need one.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Seer, do you mean the rack weight itself would be too much, or just what I may load it up with? I actually don't plan to put that much in it, but some of the equipment that I need to occassionally haul won't work very well with a smaller rack.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long stuff? That makes sense. I'm not a big fan of piling crap up on top of the rig. I've wheeled with some Rovers with their silly expedition "look" putting spares and fuel tanks etc up top. They're always weebling and wobbling and have had to pull one back up off its side -from a really lame obstacle. I just figured as nature abhors a vacuum that if there's room for stuff then it will get filled.

Quick Reply: Ever seen a cargo rack extend forward of the windshield?