Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ever think about trading?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever think about trading?

As much as I love my '12 jk there are times when I think about getting into something more road friendly. I'd love to have the jeep as my second vehicle and another ride to drive to work and to drive when I don't feel like being blown off the highway. I still owe quite a bit on my jk so getting a 2nd ride is out of the question, but it'd be great. Anyone else ever have the urge to trade or have you? Don't get me wrong I love wranglers - this is my second one in 4 years, but getting blown off the highway on the 30 minute drive to work gets old sometimes. I could drive like an old dude I guess.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not alone. My commute increased dramatically and I thought I'd suck it up in my Jeep. After about a month I found myself literally hating the vehicle. It's not that I was unaware of its highway mannerisms when I originally bought it, I just hadn't experienced putting up with them every single day. "They're not that bad." -Yes, they are. It's not poor design, it's HOW the Jeep is designed in order to accomplish other goals, like being amazing and capable off-road. It's the wrong tool for the purpose of being a daily highway ace.

Those mannerisms are tolerable in small doses. They're tolerable as part of happy, planned outings and expeditions. But during the work week, when I already have a stressful job and mostly hate my commute, the last thing I want to do is "fight" my vehicle going to and from work. I'm already exhausted and that adds a whole new level of fatigue.

I bought a little commuter car and keep my Jeep as a *very expensive* hobby. If that's not an option, try to remember that your Jeep isn't just for driving to work or to serve your employer. Go out and enjoy it in your leisure. Use it in ways that are fun and make you happy that you bought it. (After all, a piece of you really DID want it. That was a real feeling and is something you shouldn't discount). At the very least, might I suggest re-evaluating in 6 months. If you're truly downtrodden and *done* with having your Jeep as your daily sidekick, you'll probably be in a better financial position if you continue to pay it down, and you can really give time to thinking about what you want or what would work better (and make you happier).
Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never regretted my Jk and loved it and never thiuggtvid get rid of it until I took a 3 hour drive hunting with a buddy., I put on a 50" lightbar and trektop NX. That ended up killing it for me. The wind noise, flapping and loss if trunk space made me hate the jeep. I had a site throat when I got home from yelling to him in it.
Having to hook up my trailer to do dump runs, haul motorcycles, etc along with having a baby and lugging her stuff around was the final straw. Sold the jeep and got a dodge ram mega cab. I miss the jeep but having a more day to day capable vehicle is more worth it

To fill the void the jeep left, I'm looking at different 4 seater UTVs to take the family out on trails and get my outdoors fux
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not trading, but selling...to buy a yj...
Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09 flies down the hwy at 75 to 80 with no problems... it is quite peppy. It is my daily driver to and from work all week and my fun off road toy on the weekends. I love my JK. I have a 2" lift and 35s on it and the only time it gets bad is when I am inbthe tire ruts. If I stay to tge left or right of the ruts it is perfect. I hope you dont have to get rid of her.... :/
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
You're not alone. My commute increased dramatically and I thought I'd suck it up in my Jeep. After about a month I found myself literally hating the vehicle. It's not that I was unaware of its highway mannerisms when I originally bought it, I just hadn't experienced putting up with them every single day. "They're not that bad." -Yes, they are. It's not poor design, it's HOW the Jeep is designed in order to accomplish other goals, like being amazing and capable off-road. It's the wrong tool for the purpose of being a daily highway ace. Those mannerisms are tolerable in small doses. They're tolerable as part of happy, planned outings and expeditions. But during the work week, when I already have a stressful job and mostly hate my commute, the last thing I want to do is "fight" my vehicle going to and from work. I'm already exhausted and that adds a whole new level of fatigue. I bought a little commuter car and keep my Jeep as a *very expensive* hobby. If that's not an option, try to remember that your Jeep isn't just for driving to work or to serve your employer. Go out and enjoy it in your leisure. Use it in ways that are fun and make you happy that you bought it. (After all, a piece of you really DID want it. That was a real feeling and is something you shouldn't discount). At the very least, might I suggest re-evaluating in 6 months. If you're truly downtrodden and *done* with having your Jeep as your daily sidekick, you'll probably be in a better financial position if you continue to pay it down, and you can really give time to thinking about what you want or what would work better (and make you happier).
I've been contemplating for months, but I can never make up my mind. I feel like I'll want it back after a few months, but I definitely wouldn't miss the highway handling. I thought about a small car but I don't need another car in my
driveway. It's a blast to take to the beach and drive on weekends, but the majority of my driving is highway, so right now the cons outweigh the pros. Unfortunately.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love driving my jeep, but secretly look forward to it being paid off so I can buy maybe a GC or something as a second vehicle

Still not about to trade. Not at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh decisions

Last edited by jbry311; 10-10-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've done it twice!

I traded in a 2008 JKUS for a 2010 Toyota Tundra. I was sick of the 3.21 gears in my JK and didn't want to drop the cash to have it regeared, plus my clutch was squeaking really bad and was needing to be replaced. I got a tremendous trade offer from Toyota plus a great price on the truck so I went for it on a whim. The Tundra was great and I loved the huge amount of cab space but it just wasn't a Jeep. I had the Tundra for about 18 months when I caught wind of Jeep introducing a new engine/trans combo. I test drove a 2012 JKU and ordered a Rubicon on the spot.

After about 11 months of driving the Rubicon we had a new baby and it became a pain in the ass to load her into my Jeep so again on a whim, I went back to a truck. This time I ended up with a Ford F150 FX4. I loved everything about the truck and never really missed the Jeep. I got rear ended by someone traveling at a high rate of speed and totaled my truck, naturally I wanted to replace it with another truck until I went past the Jeep dealership.... BOOM!! I was hooked again. I started to regret ever getting rid of the JK and started to look for another one to replace the smashed up truck. And here I am back in a JK and loving ever minute of it!!

The moral of my story is, just stick with the JK, you'll be back anyways!!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jbry311
Oh decisions
You will regret it. I have done it many times in the last 4 years. I now have a great commute for a jeep and I still think about it sometimes. But I make it even less time when I try to get something else. I'm going to pay this thing off and then play musical car/trucks while keeping the jeep.

Quick Reply: Ever think about trading?