Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Factory Service Manual CD on Mac?

Old 07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just like to point out that I was browsing DCX's site the other day and stumbled on this:

Note: The 2007 Service Manual CD’s with new XML & SVG Wiring Diagrams are not compatible with Internet Explorer 7.0 or the new Windows Operating System "VISTA". A new revised edition CD that is compatible with I.E. 7.0 and Vista will be available soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet ANOTHER reason to avoid PCs and buy Mac, as if we didn't need another.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"not compatible with Internet Explorer 7.0"

gee, i wonder how many thousands of people returned the friggin things for that very reason before someone thought to look into it and post it on the site?

I make one.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yea

yea like when i called comcast and asked 'when will you support IE 7' and only got the run around like I was an idiot...

this was a MONTH after vista came out...

the dumbass on support was like 'uhhh, never'

Luckily it was for a customer ,not me, so I didn't rely on there crappy site...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I'd just like to point out that I was browsing DCX's site the other day and stumbled on this:

Note: The 2007 Service Manual CD’s with new XML & SVG Wiring Diagrams are not compatible with Internet Explorer 7.0 or the new Windows Operating System "VISTA". A new revised edition CD that is compatible with I.E. 7.0 and Vista will be available soon.
Wonder what idiot thought of that format? Like nobody's ever going to update their browser!

Last edited by DanW; 07-31-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
cnicklaw

There is a Free (pdf) JEEP JK WRANGLER INFORMATION & SERVICE Owners Manual on the project-jk site. Check out the link below:

http://www.project-jk.com/?page_id=26v

I don't know if this is the same information that is on the CD but I hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cnicklaw
There is a Free (pdf) JEEP JK WRANGLER INFORMATION & SERVICE Owners Manual on the project-jk site. Check out the link below:

http://www.project-jk.com/?page_id=26v

I don't know if this is the same information that is on the CD but I hope this helps.

This is the owners's manual. We're talking about the Factory Service Manual.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default The menu system --

does not work on Safari, or Firefox, or anything but IE 6. You can go digging through individual html files by hand... but that is a major PITA. The best solution I've found is running XP with IE6 within Parallels on the newer Macs. Not ideal, but certainly functional.

This is HIGHLY annoying for those of us who bought this before the warning went up. So on this one, unless you are running XP with IE6 and have no plans to upgrade (or accidentally let Microsoft upgrade for you when you aren't looking)... I would not recommend buying this till they fix the issues.

Vendor lock-in (Microsoft in this case) is annoying, but even worse when the extensions they've used are not even compatible with later versions of their own browsers...

Idiots!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it's M$ at fault in this case, but DCX's use of Adobe's SVG. There's even a note on Adobe's site saying the thing will be EOL'd next year. IMHO this is a DCX foul up.

The old pure PDF manuals were much nicer and searchable. As of now, I have to keep one machine running IE6, just to view the wiring diags on the '07.

Andy

Quick Reply: Factory Service Manual CD on Mac?