Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First lift any tips??

Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First lift any tips??

Got my 4 door jk 5 months ago I want to give it a cheaper lift that drives fine and you dont have to add to much too also I want to put 35 inch tires on. Im just getting into this stuff so idk if most kits come with everything as long as ur 3" or under and over 3" u have to relocate and change alot of things. Please help with any advice much appreciated.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

U can stay cheap and get a budget boost and for 35s. But a 2.5" coil lift would be affordable
U really don't NEED to relocate and change other stuff but ppl do to get the rigs correct geometry back after lifting (adjustable parts ie control arms)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

So u dont need to but things will be messed up and driving compromised due to the lift?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

If you are looking for cheap you can do pucks but I'd recommend going with new coils. Also new shocks can help out but that's more money. You can do a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift fairly cheap and not sacrifice ride quality. Also they offer different kit options so you can get the bare minimum of what you want (brake line extensions/ brackets, bump stops, rear track bar bracket, ect).
Old 09-29-2013, 11:56 PM
JK Newbie

I don't really want pucks I would want coils and a real lift lol. . Looking around 400-700 or so for everything I need
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepfumi
So u dont need to but things will be messed up and driving compromised due to the lift?
"Compromised" is a harsh word. After a 2.5" lift, take it for a drive. If you don't like the feel, and many of us don't, the correction for that "like driving on ice" feeling is to fix the caster you screwed up with the lift. That takes either camber bolts (DON'T!) or front lower control arms (uppers can do it also, but have less adjustment range). Also, be aware that if you off-road this and disconnect the front swaybar, you'll have more stress on the driveshaft--yes, even at 2.5" of lift. I managed to get about 100K miles out of mine before the boot finally cried "uncle". Really, the one thing many folks don't care for on the 2.5" lifts is the steering feel.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 AM
JK Junkie

The teraflex 2.5" coil lift is great. I really enjoyed mine on my 2 dr. I drove just a stock and fit 35"s great.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

there are many different types of lifts out there. I have the Pro-Comp 2.5 budget boost life and drive really nice, however having for 6 months I am ready to upgrade to something a little bigger. If you run a 2.5 coil and shock lift you can run 35's but when in full stuff your tires will run. To solve this you can trim your fender flares to resemble a flat fender or you can purchase them. I have not trimmed my fenders yet but will when I upgrade to 35's. One more thing to make sure you get is the rear track bar relocation bracket. You will not need one for the front until you go with 3" or bigger then there are more things to add.

Also you can go with a body lift if you want to go higher without spending a lot of money.

Key take away is everyone will have a preference. I would recommend to see if there is anyone in your area who has different types of budget boost lift installed and see if they will take you for a ride.

R/
Will
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
"Compromised" is a harsh word. After a 2.5" lift, take it for a drive. If you don't like the feel, and many of us don't, the correction for that "like driving on ice" feeling is to fix the caster you screwed up with the lift. That takes either camber bolts (DON'T!) or front lower control arms (uppers can do it also, but have less adjustment range). Also, be aware that if you off-road this and disconnect the front swaybar, you'll have more stress on the driveshaft--yes, even at 2.5" of lift. I managed to get about 100K miles out of mine before the boot finally cried "uncle". Really, the one thing many folks don't care for on the 2.5" lifts is the steering feel.
He explained it great. Sorry I went to bed last night after I posted.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thread: First lift any tips??
My tips would be to do your research, do it right the first time, spend a little more to get what you want. Nothing worse than trying to save a couple of bucks and not liking what you invested in.

Quick Reply: First lift any tips??