Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Flat-Towing Question...USING a 2-Dr...accross country..

Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat-Towing Question...USING a 2-Dr...accross country..

Hey guys, I got a question.

My 2-Dr only has a safe towing rating of 2,000 lbs. However, based on european estimates and things I've seen. I know I physically can tow a larger load....

Anyway, straight to the question...

Do you think there's a way I can flat tow a YJ behind my 2-Dr JK accross country? Kind of a big feat? The YJ ways approximately 3,000 lbs. Is there a way though? I know this is not advised or recomended, but is there a way?

I need a second Jeep when I move out to Washington State from here in Connecticut, and I have a YJ here, BUT I don't know how else I can get it over there. Plus it's old and I wouldn't want to test it on a 3,000 mile straight drive accross country.

Alternative Solution... Anyone in the Seattle area(where I'm moving to) have a YJ they can get rid of at a relatively cheap? I need it to be reliable...though a reliable YJ is a relative term, they're all old. But something that'll at least run for me for some time.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my take on that question.

The 2 dr (2,000 lbs tow rating) and 4 dr (3500 lbs tow rating) are identical in every aspect except one is longer. The longer the wheelbase the more stable the vehicle is when towing. That's why the 2 dr. is listed as 2,000 lbs max tow.

Can your Jeep tow your other Jeep across country? Short answer would be yes, But not advisable, and your warranty may be voided.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Keep in mind that the towing limits are only there for a legal standpoint and so people dont hook up a trailer for the first time and mad swing it around every curve. I would suggest hooking it up and driving around a couple highways to see if you could stand it cross country.
I would check if the is an escape clause for you insurance that would let them slide out of a claim if your over factory specs first though.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

You may find some reasonable pricing to ship the YJ by a trucking company. It would be cheaper than buying one there.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi

I wouldn't do it from a responsibiliy/liability standpoint alone, another factor to consider would be the wear and tear on your JK. I would look for another way to either get the Jeep out there, or as you suggested find a good deal that is already at your destination. Assuming you sold your current YJ you would have cash in hand to put toward another one.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for all the advice guys!

I think it may be POSSIBLE to do, but I agree that I shouldn't do it. So I'm going to just try and find a "new" YJ when I get there. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good deal and in the timeframe I need it(within a week or two of arriving there).

Quick Reply: Flat-Towing Question...USING a 2-Dr...accross country..