Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Which floor jack?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which floor jack?

So my little 2 ton AutoZone special doesn't event come close to lifting my 2012 JKU Sahara. Need to get a new one and have been looking at Harbor Freight as of now. Questions that arrise:

1. Do I go for 2, 2.5, or 3 ton?

2. Height: On average most lift about 18-19 inches. There are a couple that go 20-24.

3. I only use Harbor Freight for hand tools that I usually end up breaking and other misc goodies (latex gloves, wood clamps, bungees cords/straps, tarps, etc) I will most likely be getting the jeep on stands, but should I trash the idea of putting a 2.5 ton vehicle on a Harbor Freight floor jack and getting under it?

The most I plan on doing is tire rotations, oil changes, eventual suspension mods (my buddy owns a garage but usually way to busy to get me in when I buy something new)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interested in knowing the answer to this too. My floor jack doesn't get high enough to do a tire rotation. It is very old tho.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

but should I trash the idea of putting a 2.5 ton vehicle on a Harbor Freight floor jack and getting under it?
You do have jack stands, correct? If not, that is where you should spend the money. Get the biggest, beefiest, tallest stands you can afford, and just use a block of wood on the floor jack to lift it high enough to get a stand in.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Ended up getting a craftsman 3 ton floor jack that lift 19 3/4" high.

Does the job nicely whether I lift by frame or by axle.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

as far as floor jack I can't help but I have the 6 ton jack stands from harbor freight and I've never had a problem with them.... infact I'm not even sure they've gotten scratched and I've used the hell out of them.

Quick Reply: Which floor jack?