Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fold Back Freedom Top

Old 03-26-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fold Back Freedom Top

As I was removing my front Freedom Top panels the other day, I began wondering why Jeep couldn't design the front half so that it just folds back 180 degrees and lays on top of the back half.

This would be infinitely easier than trying to figure out what to do with the gigantic panels once they're off, and it would make opening and closing the front half of the top a breeze.

Seems like it couldn't be too hard to design a mechanism whereby the front folded back and latched on to the back in its folded position. I'm sure others have had the same thought, but I wonder why Jeep didn't design it this way. The Freedom Panels are awfully fussy with the current design.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh... you should do it and do the write up
Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fourxfourjeep
Ohh... you should do it and do the write up
If I had those kind of skills, I would have already done lots of fun stuff to my Jeep. I'd think you'd need a straight seam between the front and back halves. The current design seems like it would be hard to work around.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Personally, I think it would look kind of goofy. I don't even like the sunrider top folded in sunrider position. I think the hard top folded would look even more weird...

I have a hard top (that I don't use - LOL) and when it was on I had no problems fitting the panels in the rear cargo storage area. Cover them up and stack stuff on them if need be. They also make 'pouches' to store them and hold them against the rear of the back seat, which means you don't even need to store stuff on top of them.

In other words, I have no problem with the current design. Easy to remove, install, easy enough to store, and doesn't look silly.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I think it could be designed to look half-way decent if it were a fresh design and the inside of the top was black instead of white.

My big problem with the panels is that it's a pain to store them when you have the back of the Jeep filled with crap--like on a camping trip.

Also, I'm lazy, and would like to be able to just flip it back and forward like a roadster soft top. But I see your points.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I think it could be designed to look half-way decent if it were a fresh design and the inside of the top was black instead of white.

My big problem with the panels is that it's a pain to store them when you have the back of the Jeep filled with crap--like on a camping trip.

Also, I'm lazy, and would like to be able to just flip it back and forward like a roadster soft top. But I see your points.
I see where you are coming from - several times when I had the hardtop on and was at the beach I wanted to remove the top. This required pulling out all the luggage, putting in the panels, covering them with a blanket, and re-stowing the gear/luggage.

It was a pain, but it was worth the 3-5 minute task to get partially topless on a nice day.

After realizing what a PITA it was to remove and store the entire hard-top, is when I decided to go soft top (and more than likely will never go back)...

Would definitely need to be a fresh design though, as I don't think it would work too well or look to good in anything near current design.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone has done this... I can't find the link it was a top that was hinged where they meet. you had to tie the pannels down when folded back. saw it on ebay and can't find it now. They also make holders for the hitch and I think one for the underside of the back. I own a soft top so I don't have that problem.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

seems to me the designers couldn't devise a way to keep a solid piece from leaking. a hinge that doesn't leak sounds waaaay out of their capabilities. But if the front was on a sliding rail system. that might be cool. then again i chose to leave the HT at the dealer for a credit and only have the soft top. I'd have no place to store it no matter what it did.

Quick Reply: Fold Back Freedom Top