Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Former TJ owners

Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a tough one for me...I had a '97 TJ and it was my baby, soft top with half doors, auto...bought it used in '99...LOVED it...except when I went away to college it was terrible driving back and forth the 5 hours it took so I traded it in...regretted it 'til the day I bought my Jk almost a year ago.

The JK is 10x better in almost every catergory...off road, on road, comfort, noise...I plan on keeping for a long time!

(the only thing that bugs me about the JK is the front speakers are in a box and incredibly hard to get to to replace.)
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had several Jeeps,, the lates were an 03 tj,, and a 07 and now an 08 all 2dr non-rubis.. First I miss my tj,, I loved that jeep,, but,, the jk is so much better,, off road hands down,, but the extra couple inches of width is noticed,, and the power of the 3.8 is BETTER than the 4.0.. now that will stir up some,,.. The 4.0 had more grunt right off the bottom,, but it pinged and knocked bad,, which all TJ's did,, some people dont notice these things,, but I'm an auto tech,, and I'm paid to notice noises and running issues.. also you had to really push the TJ hard to go past 75mph,, and hold that speed,, it didnt tow well over 65.. My JK does this well,, its not the fastest but its good,, and it will do 100 if you push it.. and I tow the same trailer I did with the tj to 85 and dont even notice its there.. Both had/have 3.73's,, my 07 had 4.10's and towed better yet and was even faster..The radio better in the JK and the seats are light years ahead,, the operating sytem for the engine, traction and everything is way better in the 08,, the 07 had major issues.. Metal was stiffer on the tj but the paint came off easy,, chipped easy.. and had other issues.. The JK feels less jeep like but is more capable.. so it still a jeep..
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Art whats your plans? your keeping the Jk right?

i can tell you a stock TJ would not have went where we did with stock JK's at RC.
Not getting rid of the JK. But somewhere in my heart there is a soft spot for an LJ Rubicon. Always loved them. Perfect wheel base and just more basic. I like basic.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i still have a very built tj sitting on a full traction 6" long arm kit, 37" tires and locked front and rear and...... if i had to pick, i'd rather wheel my jk even before getting it up on coilovers.

Now here's a guy that has wheeled some awesome Jeeps. Interested to hear some of your reasons.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I just sold my TJ last week. i dont regret it at all.

I ran 4.5" short arm with 33's. the ride was rough. The heater sucked in the winter compared to the JK.

You need alot more lift to fit 35's. I drove an unlimited TJ for a couple weeks, but it had a fulltraction long arm. It rode really nice. We're planning on buying LJ for a second wheeling Jeep.

of course the TJ doesnt dent as easy
I've had 2 TJs abd the heaters did suck in both of them. I like the JK with the exception of the much bigger payment
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 AM
JK Jedi

I loved my TJ, drove and wheeled it all over the country to the tune of 120K miles, then sold it to my Mom to buy the JK. No regrets at all, the JK has been superior in every aspect.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by whtIwrk4
Not getting rid of the JK. But somewhere in my heart there is a soft spot for an LJ Rubicon. Always loved them. Perfect wheel base and just more basic. I like basic.
i hear yeah, I have a solid axle front 44 waiting for a LJ in my garage. The best thing is, they all have 6 cyclinders and rear 44's.

If you dont mind a salvage title, keep an eye on ww w.Daveysjeeps.com

He's always getting wrecked LJ's in. Sometime they need a little work, sometimes they need alot.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by whtIwrk4
Now here's a guy that has wheeled some awesome Jeeps. Interested to hear some of your reasons.
he's crazy, I would much rather wheel his TJ than my JK.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

No, have had 3 TJs, the last being an 06 Rubi, none of them compared to this one....but I still can't find my dash rattle
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

I had a 98 TJ. Got sold right after I left for this deployment I'm on. I loved that Jeep. I haven't driven the JK yet, but I can't wait. And from what all of you are saying I'm even more anxious now. Just great, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: Former TJ owners