Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom Top

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freedom Top

is there a way to take off rear section of freedom top without removing front panels? If so is there a How to do with pics?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really. there are 2 star bolts located under the front two sections. one one each side. you will have to remove those 2 bolts and the eight bolts on the side rail in the back. After you remove the back you can put the front 2 pieces back.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for quick reply. Would I need to remove freedom top to take softop out? Or can it be manuvered without freetop removal?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im not going to say its impossible but I suggest you remove the hard top and then the freedom top. Job takes min of 2 adults and about 15-20 min. to remove. the 1st time you put up your soft top may take you a little longer. Find a bag to keep the bolts in or replace them once you've removed the top. Good Luck
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep-N
thanks for quick reply. Would I need to remove freedom top to take softop out? Or can it be manuvered without freetop removal?
We took the top off to remove the soft top. I don't think there is a way to maneuver it out but I could be wrong.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

You have to remove the front panels first to get at the bolts under them holding the front of the rear part on. You can replace them as a bikini top. You NEED to flip the spacers/legs doen before reinstalling the hand tighten bolts in the front panels because if you do not and tighten them fully you can puncture the hard top above them. It also is loose without the legs down if not tightend down fully. Sorry but that's how it works.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Uh oh... I dont think I did that....
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Newtybar
Uh oh... I dont think I did that....
You may be able to get away with it but I read a couple of posts a while back where more than one person cracked the front panel due to not flipping the leg down. I also read where one guy was thinking about using the leg to vent the top during the summer but I never heard if he did it. Personally when the top is off I run either without or a Safari top (so the kids have shade too) so I have never done it. I am just going by what I have read others have done. I'm an easy learner I let others screw it up first then don't do it that way.

Quick Reply: Freedom Top