Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The future of JKforum??

Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
LOL...we have a couple of years to refine our trash-talking and perfect putting our noses in the air.
I wave at Cherokees and Liberty's. I'm not sure I could ever stick my nose up to anybody with seven slots.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Something tells me not getting a wave from you wouldn't be the end of the world lol
Oh... I just cry if I don't get a wave back. I usually stop within the hour though so that's an improvement, I guess.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505

I wave at Cherokees and Liberty's. I'm not sure I could ever stick my nose up to anybody with seven slots.
I got a wave from an old XJ today. First time that's happened.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The major changes to the JK will actually be minor. Think weight savings by using more alloys, tough plastics.
The Diesel is not minor, we will be seeing it . Fiat/Chrysler's Marchionne has repeatedly said the Wrangler must stay true to its roots . To change it markedly would kill it. His Words .
This speaks to me of Evolution, not Revolution . I "predict " slightly more aerodynamic grill , windshield , a weight loss of around 500 lbs, Diesel . Maybe a turbo 4cylinder, but weight needs to get down the 500 lbs plus to work.
Otherwise, very close to what we know now. I don't discuss " Connectivity ", heated seats or power whatsis, because They are meaningless to me.
The Forum will absorb them as it does all good things .

Last edited by Four Low; 02-14-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

The latest word on Automotive news is that the next gen Wrangler will keep it's live axles, get a little bit smaller, aluminum body/tub and a smaller engine.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...eep-solid-axle

Good news, but since I'm a hopeless pessimist I'm wondering if a smaller, lighter jeep will also mean a less robust jeep? Lets face it...aluminum and related alloys just aren't as strong as steel and cutting weight inevitably means reducing total strength.

So is the Wrangler going back to the roots of Wrangler? I hope not...

I'm thinking back to the 90's... Yea, YJs and TJs were fun but they were always toys in my mind and always felt inferior to "real" Jeep CJs and especially to the top of the line 4x4s of the time. Getting behind the wheel of a LR Defender, Mercedes Gelandewagen (or where I was in South America at the time, a Landcruiser 70) was a whole different experience than a Wrangler... in comparison Defenders, Gwagons and LCs felt like serious expedition-worthy hardcore 4x4s but Wranglers were lightweight weekend toys that were too small and lightly built (Yay for old Dana 30's and 35c's! ) for the real bush and definitely not something you'd want to cross the Amazon or Kalahari in. Any serious 'wheeling in a Wrangler back then was probably in a seriously modified one 'cause stock just didn't cut it.

The JK (Rubicon especially) finally brought the Wrangler into the same league as the those top 90's 4x4s. Compared to my old TJs, my JKUR is very large, built like a tank and (stock vs stock) does better off-road than anything I've ever driven. Hell, the JK is even being peddled for military applications as the J8, Hendricks Commando and Jankel Pegasus, which says something about the platform's potential!

Anyway, I don't know what to think about the next Wrangler and I wish I had some real facts about it. I'll be surprised if the Wrangler doesn't go more mainstream in design (especially because Fiat wants to nearly double Wrangler production with the next gen) but I'm sure it will at least be smaller and cement the JK's reputation as the big bruiser in the family line, even with all that extra plastic.

And since there are always people who want it big, steel and heavy duty and because the next Wrangler will be produced in far higher quantity, we'll still giggle like school girls for the next few decades when we look up book value on our JKs even if the new Wrangler has a SFA and diesel under the hood.

Last edited by Chango; 02-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chango
The latest word on Automotive news is that the next gen Wrangler will keep it's live axles, get a little bit smaller, aluminum body/tub and a smaller engine.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...eep-solid-axle

Good news, but since I'm a hopeless pessimist I'm wondering if a smaller, lighter jeep will also mean a less robust jeep? Lets face it...aluminum and related alloys just aren't as strong as steel and cutting weight inevitably means reducing total strength.

So is the Wrangler going back to the roots of Wrangler? I hope not...

I'm thinking back to the 90's... Yea, YJs and TJs were fun but they were always toys in my mind and always felt inferior to "real" Jeep CJs and especially to the top of the line 4x4s of the time. Getting behind the wheel of a LR Defender, Mercedes Gelandewagen (or where I was in South America at the time, a Landcruiser 70) was a whole different experience than a Wrangler... in comparison Defenders, Gwagons and LCs felt like serious expedition-worthy hardcore 4x4s but Wranglers were lightweight weekend toys that were too small and lightly built (Yay for old Dana 30's and 35c's! ) for the real bush and definitely not something you'd want to cross the Amazon or Kalahari in. Any serious 'wheeling in a Wrangler back then was probably in a seriously modified one 'cause stock just didn't cut it.

The JK (Rubicon especially) finally brought the Wrangler into the same league as the those top 90's 4x4s. Compared to my old TJs, my JKUR is very large, built like a tank and (stock vs stock) does better off-road than anything I've ever driven. Hell, the JK is even being peddled for military applications as the J8, Hendricks Commando and Jankel Pegasus, which says something about the platform's potential!

Anyway, I don't know what to think about the next Wrangler and I wish I had some real facts about it. I'll be surprised if the Wrangler doesn't go more mainstream in design (especially because Fiat wants to nearly double Wrangler production with the next gen) but I'm sure it will at least be smaller and cement the JK's reputation as the big bruiser in the family line, even with all that extra plastic.

And since there are always people who want it big, steel and heavy duty and because the next Wrangler will be produced in far higher quantity, we'll still giggle like school girls for the next few decades when we look up book value on our JKs even if the new Wrangler has a SFA and diesel under the hood.
Good post bro.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And maybe when manufacturers start producing aftermarket items for said new wrangler. The jk parts will come down in price to a more budget friendly area for me.

Quick Reply: The future of JKforum??