Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gear advice needed

Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear advice needed

In a nutshell, I knew putting 35" tires on my JK was going to effect my MPG and power some. I was also told by the performance center that did the lift/tires/rims installation the power and MPGs would not be significantly effected...BULLSHIT! Went from 17 -20 mpg and decent power to 7 - 10 mpg and absolutely ZERO power. Can anyone out there running 456s or 488s with an automatic tranny and 35" tires tell me what you are getting mpg and how the power is. Currently, I have to floor it to climb the grade out of BIshop, Ca to Mammoth, Ca. Same thing was true when I was on highway 70 going through the Rockies.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upnovr
In a nutshell, I knew putting 35" tires on my JK was going to effect my MPG and power some. I was also told by the performance center that did the lift/tires/rims installation the power and MPGs would not be significantly effected...BULLSHIT! Went from 17 -20 mpg and decent power to 7 - 10 mpg and absolutely ZERO power. Can anyone out there running 456s or 488s with an automatic tranny and 35" tires tell me what you are getting mpg and how the power is. Currently, I have to floor it to climb the grade out of BIshop, Ca to Mammoth, Ca. Same thing was true when I was on highway 70 going through the Rockies.
Since you say you live in Malibu try this. Never let your auto go into overdrive. You have enough hills around there to verify if this helps.

You did not say what your current gear ratio is.

7-10mpg seems a bit off, even with low ratios. Try using your GPS to log the actual miles driven between fill ups, it will give you a far more accurate reading then what you currently have on your Jeep unless you had it recalibrated by other than Jeep.

Sometimes there is a price to pay for being

Quick Reply: Gear advice needed