Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gearing up for vacation

Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing up for vacation

I'm getting ready for a vacation in Maine this summer and have encountered a dilemma. I have an '09 2door JK and need some extra space for gear so I wanted to get a receiver basket. Well, I also want to take two bicycles along. How in the world am I going to work out a rear mounted bike carrier and the receiver hitch basket?

I'm really at a loss on this one. I'd like to keep the price as low as I can, so a roof rack is probably out of the question, unless there's an inexpensive one out there I don't know about.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
get a cheap harbor freight trailer , $400-$500.

Throw whatever you want on it. They actually work pretty well as long as your not going off road with it. Or find an old banged up one and fix it up.

Lightweight trailers with not a ton of stuff works extremely well.
500 bucks is too much for my budget. There are a couple other reasons for not wanting a trailer, such as the GF driving and some campsites charging extra for automobiles towing a trailer.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

i agree you should be able to find a small trailer used for a great price. maybe craigslist. also, seems like your gonna have to sacrifice somewhere either in your budget or stuff u wanna take. good luck!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

roof rack?? you could put the bikes up there or a basket.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CreepyJeeper
seems like your gonna have to sacrifice somewhere either in your budget or stuff u wanna take.
He hit it on the head... you are going to need to step up the budget (so you can get a roof rack *and* hitch/tire mount bike rack, for example or trailer or maybe just a roof rack would work if you got a full basket one), or step back what you are taking...

Really no way around it.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Put your stuff in the reciever basket, secure it well. Rest two bikes on top and secure them to the spare tire mount going through the tire with strong bungee cords and a cargo strap. Keep the bikes weight on the basket and use the tire for securing it. That way there won't be extra weight on the spare tire assy. The hitch is rated at 300-400 lbs vert.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take as much stuff.........minimalist is in these days!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

870lb capacity 40"x 49" trailer $179.99 at horrible freight. Just got the flyer today.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

seems like buying a trailer, even if small, would cost u minimal extra $$$ at the campsite, and would keep paying for itself for years to come. hell, i've seen some old army jeep trailers that are really cool that were damn near given away.

Quick Reply: Gearing up for vacation