Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Give me a reason to keep my hardtop!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me a reason to keep my hardtop!

Hey All,
I have a dual-top unlimited Rubi, and for the first year I owned it, I kept the hardtop on and loved it. Easy to take the front panels off, quiet, good looking. It was nice.

Then this summer, I pulled the hardtop off and put the softtop on, and... I don't want to go back! I LOVE the way the softtop looks, and it's so much easier to go topless. I don't mind the extra noise or not having a rear wiper. And I live in a place with a LOT of rain.

So here's my question: Do I really need the hardtop? My only concern is I have about a month or two each winter where it will snow most days. I park under cover at home and at work, so I'll only get buildup when I park other places. Will the snow damage my softtop? Or the windows?

Cause seriously, if it doesn't damage the top, I see no reason to leave my hardtop sitting in my garage, taking up space. I'll sell that sucker and buy some soft doors!

Convince me! One way or the other!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

The winter will not damage your soft top. Sell your hard top if you want.
I live in Quebec, and we (unfortunately) have to put the hard top here because of the salt.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I don't have a hard top nor did I have one on my last 3 jeeps. I've never had a problem in the winter although it is a touch colder when you first get in, but Jeep heaters do work really well. I don't know how much snow you get in the winter, we only get maybe 4"s a time here but I've never had a problem with build up and can usually brush it off with a broom. just my 1 cent
Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

SELL IT .... use the money for some other mods ....

if you want one down the road ..... buy one then ... look at this forum ... you can get a hard top for less than $600 now ....

ps .... if you sell it .... go craiglist or ebay .... you'll make more on it ....
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Sell it!

I started with the hardtop and thought it was great, then I switched to the soft top and I will never go back (because I sold the hardtop :P).
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too have both tops, and I want to sell the softtop. I have seen enough "leaky softtops" threads to never want to put mine back on. I do mind the noise, and like the security a hardtop offers. Anyway, its up to you, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

P.S.

If its for a 4 door, I know someone who wants one if you do decide to sell.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say where you live. If I lived in Fla, I wouldn't have the hard top, but in the Rockies, mine goes on in November and off again in May. The hardtop keeps things a little bit warmer on those below zero mornings.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the Cascade mountains in Washington State. We'll get snow almost every night from around Christmas till some time in February. Usually a couple inches a night, but there are times when it will dump a foot.

I also get about 60 inches of rain a year, mostly in autumn, when it comes down in buckets. The rain doesn't bother me and my softtop doesn't leak (well, maybe a drip every once in a while).

I'm really thinking about selling this sucker. How much do you think I could get for it on Craigslist?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 08 Rubicon only has a soft top. I do not see why anyone would want or need a hard top IMO.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewkin
... I do not see why anyone would want or need a hard top IMO.
I keep one because it provides a little bit of security (more piece of mind, really) when I park the Jeep at trailheads while backpacking. Other than that, I'd rather be running doors off with the safari top.

Quick Reply: Give me a reason to keep my hardtop!