Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Good ole Jeep windshield

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I wish they used lexan instead of glass on these windshields
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my first ding during the summer right after my JK's 2nd birthday and now its a crack across the windshield. Good thing for insurance, I wont have to pay for a new one, just to lazy to call but soon it will get replaced. This will be my first replacement.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Murder¹
That's why I got windshield coverage on my insurance 1 new windshield a year & I use it every year
so true, on my 5th one now and already have a nice chip, sure i'll be on my 6th soon....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

For those that have never owned a CJ, YJ or TJ, consider yourselves lucky. The JK, while still prone to it, does not seem to get as much damage as the flat windshields those had. I think the slight curve does help deflect some strikes. On all the older platforms just about any rock would crack the windshield. I had my YJ for 3 years and replaced the windshield 4 times, fortunately I've always had full glass covereage, so they were covered, but still sucks.

Someone mentioned Lexan and I do not recommend them. They cost more, can scratch easier than glass and in my opinion the most important downside is that they do not shatter like glass in case of an accident (if you contact the lexan, you will give before the lexan does) and it's also very difficult for firefighters to remove in case they need to perform an extraction or need to perform life saving techniques from the front. Just some things to keep in mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone needs to do a writeup on how to replace your own windshield - how hard can it be? Think of the money you'd save, plus you could use your skills to make some extra money on the side replacing all of your buddie's shields. How hard is it to do this ourselves?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've replaced my windshield 3 times and I've only owned it for 1yr and 3months.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default bug shield

Originally Posted by Sahara_Steve
wow i consider myself lucky now, had my jk 15 months and no chips or cracks
Does getting a bug deflector on the hood help that much? Know a guy who had one and said it wrecked his soft top so took it off
Did you ever get any follow up on the bug deflector helping? I hate the look but if reduces chips by any percent I am open to the idea. Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a few chips but none in my line of site. when I do get it changed I want the same windshield my friend has on his 2013.. Jeep decal top center and jeep crawling up mountains on passenger side.. I know it doesn't improve anything but it just looks cool.
I can't find a picture of it online. Wonder if it was a one time thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a one time thing, that windshield has been standard since 2011.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a large pot hole in the road the other day and cracked mine. I tried avoiding it but there was way to many (they stripped the road to repave it). How much does windshields cost

Quick Reply: Good ole Jeep windshield