Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

got pulled over again in Maryland

Old 03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default got pulled over again in Maryland

i got pulled over twice in one week. the first time the Maryland state trooper was cool, said how much he loved my jeep ,wanted one just like it. just asked me to re-tint the front windows alittle lighter , no problem. Then a few days later got pulled over again by a different state trooper, and this guy didn't like anything about my jeep , said the whole thing was illegal ?? wheels ,tires ,bumpers ,said i couldn't modify the suspension at all ? almost every jeep / truck i see has some kind of modification , anyway i was very polite and asked him what i needed to do ,he said i have to get it inspected (wrote me a fix it ticket) ,but he couldn't tell me what i needed to do to make it legal. so anyway now i have to make alote of changes to pass inspection.. even though their is a Maryland jeep dealer that sells jeeps with lifts and 35 inch tires so its very frustrating i finally got it looking the way i want now i gotta take it apart i understand having to have flares cover the tires. but the rest of it dosent make sense . i have 37 inch tires now but inspection place says i can only have 33's to pass . as long as the flares cover the tires i dont see the problem .. but guess i gotta do what i gotta do.

Last edited by blockrockin; 03-26-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where in md do you live? i suggest moving out of state.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is a masterpiece, that cop is probably just razzing you. Get the truth on what it should be, get a lawyer if you have to, and get something in paper to keep with you.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds tragic! Did they show you in writing what you could and could not do?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

First things first. Cops don't always know what is legal or not when it comes to equipment.

Before you do anything rash.

Find out for yourself what the laws are in MD as to what is legal on the road and what is not.

Do this before you get inspected.

If you find that there is nothing illegal about your Jeep. Keep a copy of the law with you when you get inspected in case there is a disagreement and in case you get stopped again you will have something to show the officer

Since the cop didn't give you a ticket I would think he didn't know what exactly was legal or not on your Jeep.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Your wheels are in fact in violation, since the fenders don't cover them entirely. Mine too, as are many peoples, and i don't get pulling you over just for that. The rest, I've never heard about aftermarket bumpers, etc being illegal, unless they're above a certain height, and you're on 35s and I don't think yours would push that limit. I bet you're not in Mont Co are you? There aren't many state troopers running up and down 270 and I can't imagine they'd waste their time harassing you. That's pretty lame. Oh and one way to avoid getting hassled about your tint is to just roll down both fronts when you get pulled over. lol

Aside from the fenders being not wide enough, there's really no reason to pull you over. And your JK looks great by the way.

Edit: I misread, you do have 37s, but I'm pretty sure you're just getting hammered for the fenders and they're just piling on with everything else.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went to the inspection place today.. the first place said no suspension work was allowed ?? so they said no matter what i do it wont pass.. which dosent make sense... from what i read as long as the bumpers are below 28" it is fine.. and mine are at 27 1/2 so its good.. so anyway went to the dealer that sells them with lifts and 35's that where i bought it a stock x . then did the work myself.. but they had their guy look at it (they are also a inspection place) and he was very cool and said everything was fine .. except the cop circled tires on the fix it ticket so that meant i gotta put on stock size tires to pass.. he should have circled flares.. in that case i would just have to put on flare to cover the tire.. thats the way i understand it anyway.. he also circled bumpers / suspension shocks .
Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Note to self:

Never move to Maryland!

Sorry to hear about the LEO's hassling you! Your Jeep is awesome!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

That is one sweet Jeep. I would do whatever it takes before I would start taking it apart. Hope it works out in your favor.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting if you didnt tint your front windows you wouldnt have had the problems at all. Cops dont like tint, specially on front windows. Cop #2 probably has a hummer too

Quick Reply: got pulled over again in Maryland