Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Green Coolant

Old 03-24-2021, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green Coolant

So I just bought a used 2015 JKUR. It has 25k miles and is in great shape. Everything looked good when I inspected and drove it, but when I got home from the dealership, I noticed a pronounced coolant smell. I know all about the rad issues on these models, so freaked out a bit. After careful inspection, I couldn't find any leaks or signs of leakage. I looked in the coolant reservoir and noticed that not only was the coolant level low (an inch or so below the "MIN" line), but was also green. I bought the JK from a Ford dealer, but I don't think they did anything but an oil change (per the carfax). So, I have a couple of questions. Where is the smell coming from if there's no leak? Could it be from the vent on the reservoir? What coolant do I top off the reservoir with? I assume since it's green, it's not the OAT mopar coolant (purple). Thanks.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

I believe you use OAT not sure so check for your year as they did change mid-stream. The color should be an orange color
Old 03-24-2021, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Your ’15 came with OAT in it. It has a purple additive so looks purple in a clear jar, but if you open the rad cap and look in it looks rusty orange. This often leads to confusion. I’d be concerned if the previous owner, dealership, or quicky oil change place topped off with green. There is a chance maybe someone flushed and refilled with their choice. For me, and how picky these modern coolants are being mixed, I’d drain, flush, and fill with OAT or whatever you want, if only for the peace of mind starting out with a new-to-you vehicle.

Typically our rads leak where the fins meet the sides, and you usually can’t spot it unless you get the fan shroud out of the way. Takes a few minutes to remove the air intake tube, pull air box out, remove couple bolts holding the fan shroud to back of rad and lean it back for a clear view. Hairline cracks at the thermostat housing are a common thing too.
The following users liked this post:
magnum003 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Your ’15 came with OAT in it. It has a purple additive so looks purple in a clear jar, but if you open the rad cap and look in it looks rusty orange. This often leads to confusion. I’d be concerned if the previous owner, dealership, or quicky oil change place topped off with green. There is a chance maybe someone flushed and refilled with their choice. For me, and how picky these modern coolants are being mixed, I’d drain, flush, and fill with OAT or whatever you want, if only for the peace of mind starting out with a new-to-you vehicle.

Typically our rads leak where the fins meet the sides, and you usually can’t spot it unless you get the fan shroud out of the way. Takes a few minutes to remove the air intake tube, pull air box out, remove couple bolts holding the fan shroud to back of rad and lean it back for a clear view. Hairline cracks at the thermostat housing are a common thing too.
I figured I'd have to flush the system. I have zero interest in doing this, though. It's such a messy process and everything ends up with coolant all over it. I guess i'll take it to the Jeep dealer.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'd hate to see what a dealer charges

I wouldn't freak out as if the jeep gonna die this week or anything, but I'd address it. Takes about 10 mins to get a look at the back the radiator. I'd do that and confirm you either have a leak back there or not before doing anything with the coolant. I'd top off the resi with some distilled and watch the level over a couple weeks to see if it continues dropping. This is just typically one of those "if there's smoke, there's fire" things as I'm sure you know. Seems like there is a leak somewhere giving you the scent.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

That makes sense. I didn't think about adding distilled water to top off the reservoir. I'll do that and wait and see. I've got a 30 day warranty, so maybe i'll drive it as much as i can and keep an eye on things. I got under the jeep and looked up at the radiator. It was super clean and didn't see any sign of leaks on the rad or the thermostat housing.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by magnum003
I got under the jeep and looked up at the radiator. It was super clean and didn't see any sign of leaks on the rad or the thermostat housing.
It's not uncommon to not spot a leak from the bottom. A lot of times it's tiny pinhole leaks that burn off before they reach the bottom of the rad. The rad might be fine, but worth the few minutes to move that fan shroud and confirm.

Quick Reply: Green Coolant