Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Handling Dynamics snow and ice

Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Dynamics snow and ice

I was curious to know if anyone has a report on the handling dynamics of the truck on black ice or untreated snow covered side roads? I know what the JK boasts for its crontol abilities, but as anyone put it to the test were they can say it made an obvious difference under these conditions. For instace, my xterra has antilock breaks and a weak traction control system, but when I find myself in a situation where it kicks in i dont see or feel a lot of benifit from it.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

This post is a good example - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/first-real-use-my-4-lo-1368/

You can also do a search for "snow" and find several conversations about it. Most people have no problems in the snow and ice.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nefarious
This post is a good example - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368

You can also do a search for "snow" and find several conversations about it. Most people have no problems in the snow and ice.
Thanks, I manually searched the threads looking for a similar question... next time I will use the search tool. Great info thanks for posting the link
Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

I have tried to get the jeep to slide on the ice and I can't do it. This is my first anti-lock brake vehicle and I am amazed too. I can stop on ice without trouble, when on the same patch of ice my truck doesn't even come close to stopping. On slippery turns I try to gas it to get the jeep to slide out and it just plain won't. It really amazes me. I don't know if that is how all traction control systems are because this is my first. But I will say I am sold and don't know if I would buy a car without it now.

Bryan
Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
I have tried to get the jeep to slide on the ice and I can't do it. This is my first anti-lock brake vehicle and I am amazed too. I can stop on ice without trouble, when on the same patch of ice my truck doesn't even come close to stopping. On slippery turns I try to gas it to get the jeep to slide out and it just plain won't. It really amazes me. I don't know if that is how all traction control systems are because this is my first. But I will say I am sold and don't know if I would buy a car without it now.

Bryan

Sounds great... I am hopfully picking my truck up Wendesday if all goes well and may have the perfect weather to try it out here in MA
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riprock
Sounds great... I am hopfully picking my truck up Wendesday if all goes well and may have the perfect weather to try it out here in MA
You bought a truck AND a Jeep? Mr. Moneybags!

-E
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Here is my review of how the Jeep handles in ice based on driving it this morning.
I found a big empty parking lot covered in ice to go play around and test everything out. The braking system worked phenomonally. I got up to about 25 MPH and slammed on the brakes, it did skid a little, but it stopped straight and much quicker than I was thinking it would have given how much ice there was. I used to have a Mazda 6 that also had all traction control, ABS, electonic brake force distrubution, etc. and the Jeep stopped much better than that did in ice. I tried to whip the tail out in a turn, and again, it started to skid like it was beginning to do a 180 but then the traction control kicked in and it corrected it very nicely. I turned the traction contol off, and it did a 180 very easily, so I can definitely say it does its job. I found a very steep hill and stopped on it and started to go, it kept sliding around every where but still made it up no problem. I then tried the same hill in 4 Hi and couldnt get the wheels to spin at all, so i was impressed. Again, this was in an empty parking lot that was I trying purposefully to get it to lose control just to test it out. Once I was finished, I left to drive my wife to work, and the roads were all very icy. There were several cars and 18 wheelers that were stuck on the highway because of the ice, and I kept seeing cars skidding and sliding everywhere. When I was out on the public roads driving like normal (without purposefully trying to get it to skid) it did wonderfully. I had to stop several time to avoid wrecks in front of me and drove on various road surfaces, overpasses, hills, etc. and it didnt once come anywhere close to loosing contol. Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured some of yall would find it useful. Bottom line, if you want to go have fun sliding everywhere you can get it do, but if you are not trying to, and just want to drive somewhere and get there safely it does the job better than any other vehicle I have driven.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
You bought a truck AND a Jeep? Mr. Moneybags!

-E
I am driving around in my trade until the jeep gets here... I do own an 99 Izusu VehiCross that is paid off. I can't get myself to part with it.... crazy looking little thing
Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkiehn
Here is my review of how the Jeep handles in ice based on driving it this morning.
I found a big empty parking lot covered in ice to go play around and test everything out. The braking system worked phenomonally. I got up to about 25 MPH and slammed on the brakes, it did skid a little, but it stopped straight and much quicker than I was thinking it would have given how much ice there was. I used to have a Mazda 6 that also had all traction control, ABS, electonic brake force distrubution, etc. and the Jeep stopped much better than that did in ice. I tried to whip the tail out in a turn, and again, it started to skid like it was beginning to do a 180 but then the traction control kicked in and it corrected it very nicely. I turned the traction contol off, and it did a 180 very easily, so I can definitely say it does its job. I found a very steep hill and stopped on it and started to go, it kept sliding around every where but still made it up no problem. I then tried the same hill in 4 Hi and couldnt get the wheels to spin at all, so i was impressed. Again, this was in an empty parking lot that was I trying purposefully to get it to lose control just to test it out. Once I was finished, I left to drive my wife to work, and the roads were all very icy. There were several cars and 18 wheelers that were stuck on the highway because of the ice, and I kept seeing cars skidding and sliding everywhere. When I was out on the public roads driving like normal (without purposefully trying to get it to skid) it did wonderfully. I had to stop several time to avoid wrecks in front of me and drove on various road surfaces, overpasses, hills, etc. and it didnt once come anywhere close to loosing contol. Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured some of yall would find it useful. Bottom line, if you want to go have fun sliding everywhere you can get it do, but if you are not trying to, and just want to drive somewhere and get there safely it does the job better than any other vehicle I have driven.

Thanks for the great info!!!!

Last edited by Riprock; 01-15-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riprock
I am driving around in my trade until the jeep gets here... I do own an 99 Izusu VehiCross that is paid off. I can't get myself to part with it.... crazy looking little thing
Just a little friendly jab at you, all the Jeepers around here give me crap if I call it a truck, or god forbid someone calls it a car . It's neither one, it is a Jeep!

Quick Reply: Handling Dynamics snow and ice