Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard top

Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top

I have an 08 hard top, scratched from over the years. Was looking to paint it myself. Anybody have experience doing this? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you
Old 01-18-2020, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There have been several good reviews and writeups from people who have successfully painted their tops. The forum search function isn't great, but google will usually pull them up if you hit the right search terms.

Painting the inside of my hardtop was easy and has lasted just fine. The outside, not so much. When I got tired of the flaking and trying to respray, I ended up just dropping it off at Linex. Likely it was just my half-assed prep-work that caused it, so by all means give it a shot and post your results.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son bought a used one 3 years ago for his '07 and it was pretty dinged up. Did some light sanding and wiped with acetone then spot rattle canned it. Door edges and rear corners mostly. Came out fine - not a perfect match but darn close and after 1 winter, couldn't tell where we had painted vs. OEM. Satin Rustoleum.

Quick Reply: Hard top