JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Hardtop Dilema (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/hardtop-dilema-226549/)

kh202 04-06-2012 08:36 AM

Hardtop Dilema

So I've had my 2012 two door with hardtop for about a month now (not my first JK :wink:), and I am sad to say I have yet to have the whole top off :naw: (freedom panels, but not the back). The issue is my girlfriend and I live in an apartment building on 3rd floor.

I want to take it off in the worst way, but don't know what the hell to do with it :dontknow2: . I thought about just leaving it behind the building or something in the grass, but I'm worried about either A: Kids mistaking it for some kind of jungle gym or B: it majically disappearing :doh: not to greatest area..

My question is, would it be impractical for my girlfriend and I to carry it up 2 sets of stairs if i'd want it off for a day or two? I'm talking weight wise (I'm assuming if its turned sideways theres plenty of room up stairs), or is this a job suited for 2+ males (no offense ladies).

Thanks

FresnoJK 04-06-2012 08:42 AM

The back by itself is about 84 pounds. I would be worried about busting out the glass on a handrail not to mention the maneuvering that would need to be done to get it up 2 flights of stairs! :gap:

Find a buddy with a garage, buy him some beer and leave it there for a couple days.

CreepJeep 04-06-2012 08:44 AM

does your apartment building have any storage buildings you can rent??

if not you could always rent a storage building close by. ( just for the summer months)

I would NOT just leave it out behind the building.
would you just leave 2 grand laying out there???

kh202 04-06-2012 08:45 AM

Hmmm... Well maneuvering isn't really a problem. It's a wide hallway and plenty of room to turn. I just don't know about the weight since its bulky.

Has ANYONE ever carried a hardtop up stairs?

kh202 04-06-2012 08:48 AM

Yeah def not keeping it outside, and thought about storage, they are in the process of adding it.. Just sucks to pay $30 a month for something I might only use a few times. And it would have to rest vertically like where the panels meet.

Maybe I'll ask if I can keep it in their office :p

OH9JK 04-06-2012 08:50 AM

They are not terribly heavy...just awkward!

The rear glass will want to keep opening up on you too.

It's do-able but if you have another option I would explore that first.

:beer:

kh202 04-06-2012 08:53 AM

I'm getting topless withdrawal!!!!

Red Wings 04-06-2012 09:23 AM

Rent a storage space with enough room for the doors too.

CreepJeep 04-06-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jk202 (Post 2946863)
I'm getting topless withdrawal!!!!

get yourself to the Strip club...:blush::wink:

kh202 04-06-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Red Wings
Rent a storage space with enough room for the doors too.

Doors aren't a problem. They've been up and down the stairs a few times.. I like the new armrests in the 2012s but they are VERY inconvenient to lift off hinges without the grab handle inside lol..