Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Has anyone tinted their own windows?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tinted their own windows?

I'd like to tint my windows... but I would rather not pay too much for it.. I have seen and heard nothing but horror stories about people tinting their own windows, and it getting all bubbly etc. So has anyone done what they consider to be a profesional job of tinting their Jeep's windows? If so, any advice on technique or product? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest going to a place that tints windows and buy your tint from them. They will usually sell it by the foot. A good quality tint makes all the difference in the world. You will need a razor blade, a squirt bottle with a soap and water solution and a tool to squeege the bubbles out. Once you get the tint cut to fit your window, peel back the clear film off the tint and spray the tint with soapy water. You will also want to spray the window. after you place the tint on the window spray the tint with soapy water, this will allow you to use your squeege tool to remove the water between the tint and window without damanging the tint. It is not as hard as it sounds, it just takes time to get the tint cut to fit the window. Do not be afraid to keep things wet. The key to getting all the bubbles out is to take your time and keep the tint wet so that your tool easily slides across the tint. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flat glass will help you avoid bubbing. Give it a try, it won't hurt anything, if you don't like the results take it to a pro. Good luck & show us how it turns out!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

There was someone on ebay a while back that was selling pre-cut tint. He used a CAD program to put in the window measurement and then had them cut with some sort of cutting machine. The price was pretty reasonable too. I'll search around and see if I can find a link...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

As long as ypou have patience, it isn't too bad. I did the hardtop on my TJ and I used tons of soapy water. the first window had a few bumps but no bubbles. The second side window and rear window were perfect. I good squeegee, soapy water, sharpie and patience should do it. However most tint shops do offer lifetime warrantee on the not only the product but the installation! Check out a few shops, they are a good option.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

First off, I tinted windows for about 10 years - many differents cars, trucks, jeeps, etc. If this is your first time tinting, you are going to have mistakes. Best advise I could give, clean your windows really good, even use a razor blade if needed to get a nice smooth clean glass.
after cleaning the windows, you need to cut the tint. If you could, make a template of the window and cut the tint to size leaving the bottom of the window tint from the factory and leave it a little longer.
Then, push the rubber at the bottom of the window down into the door so the tint gets below the rubber piece.
Next mix a liquid soap and water together and use that to apply the tint to the window.
When you are ready to put the tint on, put a piece of tape on the corner of the clear side of the tint, that is the side you throw away when you peel it. The tape makes it easy to separate the tint from the plastic.
Make sure there is no dust or if you are doing it outside, make sure there is no wind or crap blowing around.
Once peeled, spray the tint alot on the glue side. Then spray the window.
Then put the tint on the window and spray the outside of the tint sparingly so you could squeegy it to the window. Keep spraying the outside of the tint as you squeegy and work from the center of the window out. If you have any bubbles that wont get out, use a hair dryer.
The Jeep windows are easy to tint though so you shouldnt have to much trouble. Send me a message if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tinted their own windows?