Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Header Wind Noise...

Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Header Wind Noise...

So I never had terrible wind noise (or any leaks) but I did have the header replaced anyway under the TSB last fall.

Last night I picked up three of my nephews and they piled in along with sleep bags, pillows, knapsacks. All that stuff was pretty much piled up against the tailgate.

Suddenly, I can hear the wind at the header much louder than usual (usually it is unnoticible). (BTW, the hardtop was on)

My thought: I wonder if blocking the tailgate flow-through vent causes an increase in header wind noise??

Those of you with loud wind noise (or variable wind noise), pay attention to your tailgate vent!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude who knows...I swear mine sometimes sounds louder with changes in weather and definitely right after I put the panels back in.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so did you get the new metal header then, and that's still giving you the noise?

I get a bit of wind noise with mine, but it doesn't leak at all, so I don't want to mess with it if it's not going to fix the noise and may end up leaking as has happened to others.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_CRC
so did you get the new metal header then, and that's still giving you the noise?

I get a bit of wind noise with mine, but it doesn't leak at all, so I don't want to mess with it if it's not going to fix the noise and may end up leaking as has happened to others.

I didn't have much wind noise before or after getting the new (soft top) header. Mostly I wanted it to prevent future problems.

I realize I wasn't very clear in my original post. The new header is for the soft top. I had my hardtop on when I noticed the sudden appearance of wind noise that I attributed to blocking the tail gate vent.

I thought the blocking of the vent could possibly relate to soft top wind noise as well.

I just put on my soft top this weekend so once it settles on (sunshine and stretching) I will know better. Of course, the hard top is always more quiet than the softie so I'll have to get used to it again and decide.

If you have no leaks and just miner wind noise, you may want to leave it alone. Why tempt fate....

Quick Reply: Header Wind Noise...