Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help Choosing Which JK To Buy Please!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a noob myself and the fact that this is my first post, I wont be offering any advice but to say I appreciate all the advice Ive read on this site over the past few weeks. Im in the same boat as Dandy (Dandy? really?) and Im awaiting my 12 Sahara Unlimited ordered last week. Living in Fla I will most certainly enjoy the top down most of the year but couldnt pass up the look of the solid body color hard top in black. Lookin at the Trektop upon arrival and of course replacement rims for my stock 18s. If anybody has any input on TeraFlex levels in 2" Id appreciate it. Im in no rush to replace my stock 32" so Im not currently considering a full lift.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I too had my eyes set on the teraflex 2 level kit. I guess i also still leaning to 3.73s too and maybe just maybe i can locate one in a hardtop.

My only concern was that going from 3.21 to 3.73 id get a lot worse gas mileage for no good reason if 3.21s would be sufficiant.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the 3.21 as theres nothing higher than a parking curb in central Fla. If you cant find the one youre looking for just order it. The package I put together didnt exist within 100 miles of my dealership. I have to wait for it but I think its worth the wait.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

I prefer the hard top! maybe they can switch the hard top to the the one with 3.73's? I hate soft tops for the most part, I don't like the look. the only soft I like is the one on a buddies LJ, just looks awesome. I think they're not that amazing on JK's. just my 2 cents!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Also it may not hurt to see how much they would add on the final price for the addition of a hard top to the already pre existing jeep with the 3.73 and soft top. Sometimes if is cheaper for dealers to make a deal like that, than it is to swap a jeep with another dealership.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the soft top/3.73. I have an 11 with 3.21 on rubi tires. It definitely doesn't have power. After having my soft top I don't even want a hardtop. I just noticed your from illinois so that might be different for you. You can try to see if they will add a hardtop. and Give you the dual top package.
Good luck.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dandy
I too had my eyes set on the teraflex 2 level kit. I guess i also still leaning to 3.73s too and maybe just maybe i can locate one in a hardtop.

My only concern was that going from 3.21 to 3.73 id get a lot worse gas mileage for no good reason if 3.21s would be sufficiant.
You won't get much worse gas mileage with 3.73's over 3.21's. Maybe .1-.3 drop.

If you get the 3.73 with Soft Top, you can buy a Hard Top for $1000 off someone if wanted. You will then have the best of all worlds.

BUT if you get the 3.21 with Hard Top, you can buy a Soft Top for $500. Then you will not have the better gears for larger than stock 225/75/16 tires.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
You won't get much worse gas mileage with 3.73's over 3.21's. Maybe .1-.3 drop.

If you get the 3.73 with Soft Top, you can buy a Hard Top for $1000 off someone if wanted. You will then have the best of all worlds.

BUT if you get the 3.21 with Hard Top, you can buy a Soft Top for $500. Then you will not have the better gears for larger than stock 225/75/16 tires.
Really only .1-.3 drop? i thought id see at least a solid 2 mpg or more drop!? No doubt would be nice to have the hard top for the winters here, even though it is a pain in the butt to take down.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dandy
Really only .1-.3 drop? i thought id see at least a solid 2 mpg or more drop!? No doubt would be nice to have the hard top for the winters here, even though it is a pain in the butt to take down.
When I was talking about roadtrips with the softop I meant 4 to 6 hour trips. I have done a few and it gets loud after several hours above 70 - 75 mph but if you won't do many of those, the softop is perfect.

Do some research, there are plenty of "will the softop handle the snow" post and I have never seen a negative coment about the softop. Why do you think there are plenty of hardops for sale? Most people realize that they don't need it holding dust and space in the garage.

Again, go with the softop and eventually decide if you need the hardtop.

One cool thing the softop has is the Sunrider feature, you can get a huge sunroof in less than 30 seconds from the driver's seat. With the hardtop you have to remove the panels, which is doable but my commute is 7 miles and I won't be unscrewing panels and putting them in a bag just for 7 miles, what I mean is that u can use it more often.

Also, with the softop you can go fully topless anywhere, with the hardtop, you will need to leave the top at home.

For me, a great part of the fun when it comes to the Wrangler is the convertible part, with a hardtop it just becomes another SUV on the road.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goaterguy
When I was talking about roadtrips with the softop I meant 4 to 6 hour trips. I have done a few and it gets loud after several hours above 70 - 75 mph but if you won't do many of those, the softop is perfect.

Do some research, there are plenty of "will the softop handle the snow" post and I have never seen a negative coment about the softop. Why do you think there are plenty of hardops for sale? Most people realize that they don't need it holding dust and space in the garage.

Again, go with the softop and eventually decide if you need the hardtop.

One cool thing the softop has is the Sunrider feature, you can get a huge sunroof in less than 30 seconds from the driver's seat. With the hardtop you have to remove the panels, which is doable but my commute is 7 miles and I won't be unscrewing panels and putting them in a bag just for 7 miles, what I mean is that u can use it more often.

Also, with the softop you can go fully topless anywhere, with the hardtop, you will need to leave the top at home.

For me, a great part of the fun when it comes to the Wrangler is the convertible part, with a hardtop it just becomes another SUV on the road.
As for hard tops and snow really depends on where you live. When I lived in FL I would agree with you in NC it was a mixed bag, but I am from WI and have lived in other northern states. I find that people like hardtops for winter on a DD. I will not say everyone but a good majority and you will not find a lot for sale during the winter in those states.

Quick Reply: Help Choosing Which JK To Buy Please!