Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HELP coolant ?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP coolant ?

Can anybody please tell me if its ok to use prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreeze oolant . The tech at autozone told me it would be ok but its not his vehicle and I want to make sure from someone who owns a JK I might know better. The coolant in my JK right now is the pink. He said I can just mix this in but my concern is that it says its for all makes,models of cars and light trucks. I dont think these qualify as light trucks do they. Please let me know what u guys think. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldnt have any issues with mixing. I would take the time to flush and replace the coolant with one type or the other once you get the time.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems as long as the Prestone is made for use with vehicles with aluminum heads. Being a major brand, I am certain that it is.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks guys!

I appreciate ur input fellas.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! I'm sure that Prestone will work fine but being the skeptic that I am, I intend to use Mopars own as they mention something about containing "HOAT" whatever that is. Of course the owners manual recommends the continued use of their specified coolant and as seldom as it needs changing I'll stick with it. Take care... Mike
Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

You should flush and have just one type of coolant. On one occasion I saw two different coolants mixed and then the engine started to over heat. Turns out something had caused the coolant to gel up into sludge that didn't flow properly.

I only saw this once when working at my parents Diesel shop but they guy said he just stopped at a truck stop and added coolant after checking lvls and being a little low.

This is just enough to scare me away from mixing and thought I'd mention it. Also it was a real pain to get that crap out.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

just make sure it says on the bottle that you can mix with any color antifreeze. if you mix green with the red or red with the green it will make "peanut butter" and you wll be buying a new cooling system. you should be fine though last time i was at auto zone almost everything they had was cross mixable.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the real difference between the typical red and green antifreeze? Is it just longevity?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

This may help. Their was a long discussion about this over on the newsgroup RAMJAW last year. Best not to mix coolants that don't have the same base makeup. Hope this helps clear some of the questions up. Chrysler uses a G0-5 coolant, the container will carry this spec if it meets it. Zerex makes a G0-5 coolant.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) is the chemical composition for the traditional
antifreezes that are green in color. An IAT can be used with either ethylene glycol
(EG) or propylene glycol (PG). The normal IAT service life is two years or 30,000
miles (50,000 km).

Organic Acid Technology (OAT) was the first LLC / ELC introduced in North
America in 1994. OAT antifreeze had been widely used in Europe before its
introduction in North America. OAT can be either EG or PG but is mostly EG
based. Its first dye colors were orange and red. These dye colors are still used by
General Motors and Caterpillar. Green, pink and blue have been added to the list of available OAT antifreezes. It is recommended that OAT not be mixed with any other antifreeze technology. The normal OAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000 miles (250,000 km).

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT with
nitrites added. This makes HOAT suitable for use in both light duty and heavy
duty systems. Currently, two manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles.
Daimler/Chrysler's version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze.
Ford Motor Company’s version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled
antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not
recommended.
The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000
miles (250,000 km).

Last edited by GreytSilly; 11-25-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP coolant ?