Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Lemon Law questions, 2012 vs 2010?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Lemon Law questions, 2012 vs 2010?

Hey guys,

apologize for the long post first and foremost,

Recently my Jeep (2010, 4 door rubi, auto) has been in and out of the shop for a major electrical problem that hinders the vehicle from starting most the time. The problem is as follows, when started periodically at random intervals the windshield wiper blades will turn on and the electronic sway bar disconnect light will flash on the dash. The Jeep fails to start most of the time and if it does run, the rpms race within 500-1000 of normal resting rpms and then stalls after 30 seconds or less. On rare occasion the vehicle will actually stay running enough to drive, but driving it is no fun/safe task. It does not shift properly and sometimes will not be able to reach over 25 mph. This has happened to me multiple times within the last 2-3 months and has left me stranded at school and other places.

The first time it went to the dealership they replaced the windshield wiper motor, which I knew wouldn't fix the problem, and it turns out I was right. Within the next few days the Jeep was acting up again so I took it back in. On the second time they gave me the "we can't recreate the problem so there is nothing we can do". Again the problem persisted so I took it in for the 3rd time.

This is the third time it has been in the shop for this same problem and Thursday will mark 3 weeks. It finally acted up for the technician and he has no idea what to do. He has been in contact with Chrysler and they have been telling to try different things but nothing has worked so far (this was within the first week). I gave them a call this morning and they have no updates since I was there a week ago! It sounds like they haven't been putting much work into it at all and somewhat pushing it to the side.

I figure if it stays until next Monday it will mark 25 days which is a requirement for Lemon Law. The only problem is that Michigan's Lemon Law states that the first attempt to fix the issue has to be within the first year, which mine was not. I have found out that there is another Federal Lemon Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) which allows the occurrence to have been after the first year, as long as the vehicle is still under warranty, which mine is.

I am thinking about taking this route, but I am somewhat nervous about this. I am a 21 year old college student, with very limited funds. Most of what I read requires that I would hire a lawyer and the process could take a long time. Do you think this is a good route to take? I would rather have them fix my Jeep now but at the rate they are going it doesn't seem like they care too much to do so.

Another big question I have with this is that I would like to seek replacement instead of a refund, would I receive a 2010 wrangler or a 2012? I have many aftermarket parts on my jeep now that I would like to take with me also, would they give me a hard time about that?

Are the axles the same between the 2010 and 2012? I have gussets and 5:13s on my axles and wondering if I should swap them out to install them on a 2012 if it ever gets to that point? Are 5:13s needed with the new engine (auto)? I just don't want to lose all the aftermarket stuff that I paid big bucks for. (wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, suspension, drive train, etc...)

I appreciate anyone's input, thank you for reading. I have been extremely stressed bout this because I don't have another mode of transportation (they charge for loaners, calling them today to try and get one for free) and the biggest test of my life is coming up in 2 weeks! (DAT, Dental Admissions Test).

Thanks again,
Dom

Quick Reply: Help! Lemon Law questions, 2012 vs 2010?