Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

help me buy my 1st jeep

Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me buy my 1st jeep

hello everyone,

I am looking into buying my 1st jeep. . .

I am interested in a black x 2 dr 4x4

I plan on doing all the typical upgrades (bumper,winch,lift,tires,stereo ect )

my ? is the x is the base model will i regret not getting the sahara or rubicon. . .

is there any problems that i will run into down the road going with the base model. .

are the body and styling the same on all 3 ( looks ) other than the painted fenders on the sahara

sorry if these are total noob ???S i just want to make sure im not kicking myself later

anyone from san antonio that would recommend a dealership

thanks
d
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spread5150
hello everyone,

my ? is the x is the base model will i regret not getting the sahara or rubicon. . .

is there any problems that i will run into down the road going with the base model. .

are the body and styling the same on all 3 ( looks ) other than the painted fenders on the sahara

sorry if these are total noob ???S i just want to make sure im not kicking myself later

thanks
d
Howdy, spread5150! I would say that if you are going to be in a situation where you might need a winch, then you may want to consider the Rubicon. All three trims have the exact same body. The Sahara is basically an X with all the options and painted flares (and the option to get khaki tops). The Rubicon is still the same body/engine, but has these additional off-road capabilities:

-M/T tires
-Front and rear selectable, electronic lockers (rear locker an option on X/Sahara)
-Electronic sway-bar disconnect (optional on X/Sahara)
-Rocker guards
-4:1 low range crawl ratio (I think it's 2.72 on the X/Sahara?)
-Dana 44 front axle (as opposed to a Dana 30 on the X/Sahara)
-Stiffer shocks

The tires, lockers, disco and guards could be added to an X or Sahara fairly easily down the line. However, the stronger front axle and lower crawl ratio are options that would be pretty pricey to add after the fact. I'm happy with my Sahara and it wheels great-- but if I knew I'd be wheeling it as much as I am, I probably would have just gone for the Rubi

Now, if you plan on ditching all the factory stuff anyways and building up a major trail rig from sctratch then a 2WD X would be the cheapest way to start
Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it, I would get the Rubicon. Sahara is not worth it I think.

You get the most bang for the buck on a loaded X with the bells and whistles. The Rubicon is of course is an amazing machine. Doojer's description is really good by the way. He is right on the money.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spread5150
hello everyone,

thanks
d
I will PM you my salesman and dealership. I was very, very pleased.

Patriot

Quick Reply: help me buy my 1st jeep