Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Potential Hydrolock!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Potential Hydrolock!

Hey everyone, The other night I was wheeling my 2008 Automatic JK with some buddies and attempted to go through a watery mud hole that was a little too deep. We ended up getting stuck and my 3 buddies had to climb out and attempt to pull my out with a tow strap. My exhaust was completely underwater, but the water was just up to my fenders. The entire time the were hooking the strap up, I had the jeep in neutral and I stayed on the gas so water wouldn't go up my exhaust pipe. At one point my foot slipped off the gas and the jeep instantly stalled. I tried to turn it back over and it tried to start. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor numerous times and it eventually started up. We got out of the hole a few minutes later. The only light on was my battery light and an indication that said "change oil". I drove home since it was late and everything was fine. Then this morning when I went to start it, it takes a few tries to get started and I have to pump the gas pedal. Does anyone have any advice on to what to do? Change the oil? I've read about pulling the spark plugs and manually cranking the engine so whatever water in the engine will come out, but I'm at college and have minimal tools and knowledge. Is it hard to pull my spark plugs? Can I reinstall them easily? How do I manually turn over the engine? Am I totally screwed? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drove it home you didn't hydrolock. Any check engine light or anything? Def change the engine oil and differential fluid ASAP.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Here's a summary of the answers he already got...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/help-potential-hydrolock-289994/

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

No check engine light. Just the "change oil" notification. Would the need for the oil change be the reason it's having trouble starting?

My apologies Karl, as a college student, I'm just trying to get as many answers as possible so I can troubleshoot the problem myself without having to blow money I don't have at a shop.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hokiemanturf
No check engine light. Just the "change oil" notification. Would the need for the oil change be the reason it's having trouble starting? My apologies Karl, as a college student, I'm just trying to get as many answers as possible so I can troubleshoot the problem myself without having to blow money I don't have at a shop.
Be be your starter if some mud/ water got in it. But still wanna change the fluid. Tbh, I'm no engine expert in ANY sense tho lol. Can just tell you it's not hydrolocked
Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you had hydrolocked it, it wouldn't be running. Hydrolock would keep the engine crankshaft from turning. You got lucky. You probably have water trapped a few places. Open up the air filter box and check for water. Replace filter if it is damp. Check the air hose to the engine for water. Change your engine oil. Check your diffs, transfer case and tranny for water--fluids will be milky if contaminated. Check the TIPM (fuse/relay box) for moisture. Since engine is running, I wouldn't worry about pulling plugs.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you guys! On the way to the store to get all replacement fluids and ordered a new cold air intake filter since it was pretty muddy and not the first time it's been "mudded". Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Instead of buying a cold air intake, why not check out snorkels, you can get them for around the same price and they prevent or at least decrease your chances of hydro locking by a lot
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

I already had the CAI, just bought a new filter for the end.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Best advice I can give you is learn from this and stay out of deep shit lol. Especially with a CAI. I too have done dumb things in water, not worth it

Quick Reply: Help! Potential Hydrolock!