Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HELP RUST !!! HELP!!! Pls

Old 09-01-2019, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP RUST !!! HELP!!! Pls

have no clue what to do, did a a lot of research and there are so many ways to approach this, but according to the age of my jku (2011) anyone have any advice on the best way to de rust and rust proof all the spots ??? Thanks in advanced.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Knock all the loose rust and paint off. Paint with POR 15
Old 09-01-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

That does not look bad. Drive shafts get a certain amount of rust on them, then it kinda stops. I think yours looks fine. The rust in the gas tank skid plate is typical. I used the POR 15 and am not completely satisfied with it. Yes, I didn't do great prep and the coating was peeling off within one year. I'd go for the rust converter available in a spray can at hone depot. Rustoleam rust converter I think it's called.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Try Ospho. I keep a spray bottle of it handy and I just hit the rust I see periodically
The following users liked this post:
Dat (05-29-2023)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Recently had issues creeping up in the tub and treated it with Loctite.... "LoctiteŽ Extend Rust Neutralizer is a fast drying, milky white latex coating that is applied to rusted metal to stop rust, protect the surface and act as a primer for the finish coat. It converts rust to a neutral surface ready for painting, creating the ability to paint over rust."
Old 10-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Gipper
Recently had issues creeping up in the tub and treated it with Loctite.... "LoctiteŽ Extend Rust Neutralizer is a fast drying, milky white latex coating that is applied to rusted metal to stop rust, protect the surface and act as a primer for the finish coat. It converts rust to a neutral surface ready for painting, creating the ability to paint over rust."
Ospho does the same thing. It looks like chocolate milk or a light green spray, depending on what brand you get. Works well for me.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rust on the driveshafts is inconsequential, they aren't even painted from the factory. Those aftermarket geometry correction brackets could use some POR-15.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,👋

I am currently in search of an effective rust inhibitor to protect my metal objects from corrosion. I have previously tried the product rust converter, but I am open to exploring other options. I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations regarding the most effective and widely used rust inhibitors.

Which product have you found to be the most effective in combating rust? Do you have any advice on specific brands or types of products to consider? Your firsthand experiences will be immensely valuable in helping me make an informed decision.

Thank you in advance for your valuable contributions!

Best regards,
Old 05-26-2023, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

Namu welcome to the forum , you have come to right place for answers. I believe you are already on the right track as you have pulled up related posts that have indicated preferred rust prevention products. All brands mentioned are worthy or trying. I have had good luck with POR-15 .
Old 05-26-2023, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

The rust converter simply stops the rust process and turns the oxidized metal into a hard black compond. One must cover it with primer and paint to stop the conversion process from continuing. POR15 is about the best paint I have used that is not porous and does stop air from absorbing through the paint to the Rust Converter.
The following users liked this post:
domifan (08-17-2023)

Quick Reply: HELP RUST !!! HELP!!! Pls