Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help - Windshield Channel?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Windshield Channel?

All right, I really have no idea where to put this, so if it needs to be moved/deleted just let me know (or, you know, do it... whatever).

I got my Jeep from a dealership (as opposed to ordering it) and it originally had a soft top. Given the western Washington weather, I chose to go with the hard top, so the dealership swapped it out. I've removed it for the summer and would like to get a bikini top, but everywhere I've looked to order it says I need the windshield channel as well.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I already have one. Since the soft tops need one(?), I don't know if my Jeep had one on it already, and if it did I don't know if the dealership removed it or not when they put the hard top on.

So... here's a picture.

(close-up here)

If someone could just tell me whether or not I have one, that would be awesome. All the pictures I can find of them are the "product page" kinds of pictures that aren't very helpful. I'd just like to know if - whenever I do get around to getting a bikini top - I need to order one too!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the header is a seperate piece, kinda like the front edge of the soft top.
even if you have the soft top, you would have to purchase the header to run the bikini/safari top
Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, you need a windshield channel. It wasnt till I saw one in person that I understood why. It's a metal thing that the bikini will snap onto and hook into your existing channel the way a soft top would. Hope that helps
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna take a pic for you, but it is raining and the mesh safari is not doing such a good job of keeping the interior dry. Maybe I should put the doors back on?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome. I knew I could count on you guys for help!

No need for a picture (I appreciate the offer though) I just needed to know whether I'd have to order one. Wouldn't want to go and buy a bikini top and then have to wait put it on just 'cause I forgot a part.

(Mods can go ahead and lock this post if they want, now that I've got my answer)
Old 06-26-2008, 03:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

BTW, if you buy the Mopar Sun Bonnet (I hate that name), it's a safari top made by Bestop with the windshield header bar built in--no need to buy a separate piece. On top of that, they offer two versions, one for those who own a softtop and have the softtop hardware to help with the install, and one for those who don't own the softtop. Supposedly, the latter fits a little better than the Bestop equivalent (albeit, at a higher price, even after adding in the separate header bar for the Bestop).
Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Huh, I've only been looking at the Bestop ones so far. I'll keep that in mind though - thanks!

Quick Reply: Help - Windshield Channel?