Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hit and run, looking for advice........

Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or has crime in Texas gotten out of control since 'Walker-Texas Ranger' got cancelled?
I think the best advise is to file a police report and go from there. It is alittle late in the game, but I would do it to cover my own butt.. Whose to say they can't say you hit them. They could get your tag # easier than they can get theres- they know where you live.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Dawg
Has your company actually told you this or is it just a good guess? In most states an insurer cannot raise or surcharge your rate unless you are at fault or have otherwise increased their risk.
I have uninsured (sp?) motorist coverage, and the deductible is $250. I was afraid they were going to go up on it though since it is not going against someone else.

Everyone in the building knows what happened and they have a recording of me on 911 getting pissed because no one will come out to scene. I have other indisputable evidence that puts my car in the parking spot at the time of the hit, so I'm not too worried about it getting pinned on me.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
I have uninsured (sp?) motorist coverage, and the deductible is $250. I was afraid they were going to go up on it though since it is not going against someone else...
You'll be on the hook for the $250, but that's a lot better than $3500. Before walking away from this, specifically ask your agent if a UM-PD claim will have any effect on your rates. If it doesn't, go ahead and have them pay it. This will also give your company a little more incentive to recover your deductible along with their own money.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

I experienced a hit & run in January. Never found the little bastard that did it (well, he never fessed up anyway) but I got a police report and turned it into my insurance company. They said because I have the report my insurance won't go up at all. Ended up costing $2500, $500 out of my pocket b/c of the deductible. It created some hostility between my neighbor and I because his son's friend wouldn't fess up to it but whatever, life goes on. I've gone outside a few times when the son's friend is there and have given the evil eye so he knows I'm pissed. Best day was when the State Police were sitting in my driveway when the kid showed up. (It was only my brother stopping by for a visit) but the kid left really really quick.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to suck it up and pay the $500. It sucks that there's so many douchebags in the world. Good luck with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll try the last few odds and ends but probably just pay the deductible. I want to think that this guy tried to do right after he sobered up. Guess he did right to protect himself when all he gave was the policy#......
Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Mine got hit on Saturday and I did the same thing. Filed a report and called the number they left on my jeep. I called my insurance co and they said I can file against mine for $500 or try and recover through their insurance. They said if I filed with them my rates wouldn't change because I wasn't in the vehicle during the accident so I can't be blamed for the accident.. I have Allstate by the way. Finally the guy called me back and I turned it into his insurance. I hope I don't have to eat the 500 too... Anyway you shouldn't have your rates go up. If they do check with your local law about that.. Doesn't sound right to me..
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey dont play games call YOUR ins co. and file a claim so your out your deductiable give it 2-3 months and take it out on the ones that you followd to their apt do they drive a car and rember "ACTS OF RANDOM VIOLENCE HAPPEN EVERY DAY IN THE CITY"

Quick Reply: Hit and run, looking for advice........