Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hitch Cargo Racks? Which one works best with JK?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffncs
The open square at the back side of the rack is most likely 2" outside dimensions (maybe 1.5" inside dimensions). Some bike racks fit both 2" and 1.25" receiver tubes. You'll have to get creative to make sure the bike rack is secure with the extra .25" of space.

Additionally, you're talking about adding another 50-100 lbs 24" further from the hitch pin. I'm not going to get into the physics, but the 350 lb tongue weight will disappear quickly with that long of a lever arm.

Your call, but I don't think I'd bother with it myself.

Jeff
Good point. I can post the inner dimensions of that tube if needed. One thing I did forget to mention is that there is also a bolt near the back of that hole which goes straight through that square support beam. It's 1 of 3 bolts that holds the basket to that main support beam. So that would be another thing that would have to be worked around with the bike rack idea, to be able to slide the bike rack mount inside.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need just over 12" from the outer edge of my hitch to the outside of my spare. What distance do you have with yours?

Quick Reply: Hitch Cargo Racks? Which one works best with JK?