Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Honesty and Credibility Jeep’s versus Dealer?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KMHENRY77
I find one thing ironic today I was watching the president of the UAW on a talk show being questioned. The moderator asked him if the US auto manufacturers were going to die off since they are in such a horrible state. There was a guy there from the Wall Street Journal and I think one from Forbes. I did not get to catch the whole program but they were asking about the possibility of the UAW taking over the insurance coverage for the worker so costs could be reduced.
It seemed the Union President thought they may strike in the next few months and that the outcome would be some minor concessions on both sides. I wonder what this may do to our jeep production and our industry?
The UAW usually strikes the company that they've given the most concessions to in the past, that is also doing the best in the market place. Out of the Big 3 this year, DCX is the most likely strike target. The UAW is also feeling pressure and is considering drawing a line in the sand. They need to regain their relevance quickly, or risk conceding their way out of existence. They've just lost their Legislative bid for guaranteed memberships. And, it's an election season. So, there is a very good possibility that they'll strike this year. If they do, and they specifically target the JK plant, our build dates will be postponed days/weeks.

Personally, I think a strike would actually be one of the final nails in the UAW's coffin. Also, with the recent sale of DCX, they may not risk striking against them. Because it'll mean even more delays in getting our Jeeps, I hope it doesn't happen.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Unions had there place at one point in time. In my line of work I supply saftey shoes to alot of manufacturing plants. Let me tell you there is a huge difference in union vs non union plants. They served there purpose, now the majority of them seem to cause more problems then they help solve. I think they just need to realize that things have changed and business cant afford to pay for everything and stay in business anymore. Some of the wages that UAW workers get are unbelieveable. There is a ford plant right down the street from me, at that plant at there was a position of a guy who walked around and just swept up with a broom. $20 dollars an hour was what he got to do that. Everyone wonders why the big three are loosing so much money.

Last edited by CarFanatic; 07-05-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Problems facing business today

Health care and pensions are tough on business today. Some of the old pensions which todays workers from later generations are having to pay for are killing America. It is easy to see both sides but we are truly paying for all of the retired folks who are enjoying benefits our generation will never enjoy. Years ago I brought this up at a Christmas dinner and my Grandmother jumped me. She got right in my face and said that we owed these things to her generation. I could not help it, I tried to bite my lip, but I could not hold myself back. I told her that I did not see why one generation should be overburdened by another. WOW $#!+ hit the fan that day. It is a new world and everyone needs to wake up.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Man I bet it hit the fan!

Quick Reply: Honesty and Credibility Jeep’s versus Dealer?