Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How far is too far?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
How about a retro Wrangler (CJ-esque) or at least a CJ inspired interior for the JK? Flat dash. One big chrome bezeled speedo to the right of the driver's right knee. No idiot lights but rather an array of old school gauges.
I've thought about trying to do this on a JK for a few years. Has anyone seen a mod where someone did it?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior of the next Wrangler really discourages me. It's "too fluffy" and "soccer mom" orientated for me.

Losing the solid front axle would be a killer for me, without a doubt.
Unibody - another kiss of death
Electronic shift transfercase - That would annoy me, but I'm not sure it'd be a deal breaker.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

It cracks me up to hear 4door owners pointing fingers at the interior of an 2011 as being such a big deal, really?

It can be as plush and pretty as it wants...

When it starts loosing the capability I will complain. I also would hate to see the removable doors go; or the loss of a 2dr model (though it would not suprise me in the next generation).

I could care less what the soccer moms are doing; mine doesn't spend enough time in the mall parking lot to notice.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

IFS, if done right is not a deal breaker for me. Just makes it all the more better for getting to those far off trails!

Making it unibody or losing the removable top and doors would be a deal killer though.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not a deal breaker for me if they loose the fold down windshield-lets face it, it looks awful with the curved glass anyways, as long as the screw mounts are still there for accessories like lights and stuff

nor is ifs if done correctly and is rugged like the original military h1

nor is fluffy interiour if still focused on function and ease of operation and retains the roll cage

deal breakers for me are:

removal of the roll cage and removable top(my primary reason for purchase was the convertable thing and still safe with cage)

non removable doors

less capable offroad(i want more rugged, not less)

less powerful than it already is.-this engine is sad enough, dont depress us any more than u already have.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

It'll no longer be a Wrangler when it ceases to be it's own model. For instance, a Jeep Liberty with Wrangler trim level.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

As soon as it is less capable than the one before it
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
its not a deal breaker for me if they loose the fold down windshield-lets face it, it looks awful with the curved glass anyways, as long as the screw mounts are still there for accessories like lights and stuff

nor is ifs if done correctly and is rugged like the original military h1

nor is fluffy interiour if still focused on function and ease of operation and retains the roll cage

deal breakers for me are:

removal of the roll cage and removable top(my primary reason for purchase was the convertable thing and still safe with cage)

non removable doors

less capable offroad(i want more rugged, not less)

less powerful than it already is.-this engine is sad enough, dont depress us any more than u already have.
This.

Don't care about the fold down window
Don't care if the interior is nice or not.....well I do, I like the new interior.

Do care about removable top
Do care about trail capability

Is the 2011 any worse on the trail than '10, '09, or '08? nope....
Is it any less a Jeep than earlier models? Nope....
Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

if it ever becomes comfortable to drive, with good fuel mileage, good power, actual reliability, a warranty that Chrysler will actually stand by, it'll no longer be a Wrangler. lol.

seriously tho, if it weren't for the ability to remove the top and doors on my Jeep, I'd be driving a Tacoma today. I think it's stupid the windshield folds down, there's just no purpose to that anymore (Jeeps aren't being packed tightly into airbus carriers anymore). IFS certainly would a big slap in the face to Jeep history and the serious off-roaders who buy these things. for the wheelin I do, IFS would prolly be fine, but it's really not "Wrangler". there's also the the silouette. CJ, YJ, TJ, JK.... they all have the same basic silouette. If they change it too much, it's not "Wrangler", it "just another SUV".

so that's it I guess: removable doors and top, solid front axle, and the basic overall Jeep look.

Quick Reply: How far is too far?