Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How hard is it to remove the back window from the hardtop

Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to remove the back window from the hardtop

OK here is the problem... most of my friends live almost an hour from me.... so trying to find an agreeable time to meet up to pull my top is next to impossible... So I was thinking about removing the back window to lighten it up and take it off myself. I have a hoist a top in my shed, if it had a higher and wider entrance I could back my JEEP in no problems... So am I crazy doing this? I just know when that first weather reports comes out saying high's in the 60's it is time to switch to the soft top. When it comes to my JEEP I get really spoiled and impulsive. I am already thinking of excuses to take work off for that first semi-warm day! It is not the weight of it that is the tough part it is the center of gravity that makes it difficult. I think having that window out would make all the difference in the world... But once again how difficult would it be and has anyone ever known someone to do this?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

thought about doing this and there was like six bolts attatched to the hinges hooked to the window. Didnt look like too bad of a job.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Did not do it personally but I had to have mine replaced. If you have the rear wiper you have to remove the outside arm then the motor comes off and will hang from the wires. After that you remove the screws holding the hinges to the top. Not the easiest thing in the world but it can be done however I bet it will take some time to acomplish and when they did mine two of them were working together. Personally I would find a friend to help pull it versus going through all that. In about a month the top and doors will be coming off mine till it gets too hot this summer but untill then if the wife helps we will pull the top for the day if not the front panels are easy to remove and it is the next best thing. If it is important to you to be able to remove the top alone then you need to think about a soft top or make a stand you can put a hoist on that is high/wide enough to get the jeep under.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Did not do it personally but I had to have mine replaced. If you have the rear wiper you have to remove the outside arm then the motor comes off and will hang from the wires. After that you remove the screws holding the hinges to the top. Not the easiest thing in the world but it can be done however I bet it will take some time to acomplish and when they did mine two of them were working together. Personally I would find a friend to help pull it versus going through all that. In about a month the top and doors will be coming off mine till it gets too hot this summer but untill then if the wife helps we will pull the top for the day if not the front panels are easy to remove and it is the next best thing. If it is important to you to be able to remove the top alone then you need to think about a soft top or make a stand you can put a hoist on that is high/wide enough to get the jeep under.
Thanks for that... sounds a little more involved then I thought....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default RE:

I built a frame/table gizmo that I can just back my Jeep up to and then crawl in and lift my top off...It works great. I can take off and put on my top by myself in less than 5 minutes...

I know another member did this as well and he posted pics on here, but it is really easy to build...

Actually, I have some pics....I will get them posted in this thread asap.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default RE:

Originally Posted by really_good_guy
I built a frame/table gizmo that I can just back my Jeep up to and then crawl in and lift my top off...It works great. I can take off and put on my top by myself in less than 5 minutes...

I know another member did this as well and he posted pics on here, but it is really easy to build...

Actually, I have some pics....I will get them posted in this thread asap.

Ok here is the pics of the rack/table I made...

Not perfect by any means, but it is very sturdy and gets the job done. I went to lowes and got the cheapest carpet (made for boats) they had and stapled it to the top part that actually makes contact with the jeep top...this allows me to slide the top with out any harm to it...I can also store the panels directly underneath. I know the other member put caster wheels on his to make it easier to slide up to the jeep...i dont have wheels on mine, but it is still pretty easy to move up to the jeep. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great Solution

Originally Posted by really_good_guy
Ok here is the pics of the rack/table I made...

Not perfect by any means, but it is very sturdy and gets the job done. I went to lowes and got the cheapest carpet (made for boats) they had and stapled it to the top part that actually makes contact with the jeep top...this allows me to slide the top with out any harm to it...I can also store the panels directly underneath. I know the other member put caster wheels on his to make it easier to slide up to the jeep...i dont have wheels on mine, but it is still pretty easy to move up to the jeep. Hope this helps.
That's great. I had always thought about the above roof pully systems. This is cheaper and looks like it works great. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to remove the back window from the hardtop