Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to keep wife from driving my jeep

Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let the wife drive it if she wants to, I even encourage her to do so. No sense in paying for a car that just sits on the drive way. Personally I believe its one of those unspoken "man duties" to maintain the vehicles, but that's just me. Plus I enjoy maintain our vehicles, so it's a plus.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bdw293
I knew you guys could be tough but dang. Y'all gonna have me signed up for the Dr. Phill show. Actually me and the wife have a great relationship I'm just stingy with my jeep. Also I would never sabotage it to keep her from driving it or hide the keys. I just simply wondered if any one else has had a similar problem and if so give any good advise on how to handle it.
I think the concern or surprise is that you're asking for outside help because simply talking to her about it and reaching a mutual understanding (which I think would be the first course of action) either isn't achievable or isn't working. Your marriage isn't my business, but that would be a serious red flag for how we handle problems in my marriage! I hope you guys are able to work it out.

But, the comments about Dr. Phil and advice to report the Jeep stolen have been fun to read
Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a ****ing Jeep not a Ferrari, it's also your wife not a damn stranger. I don't see the huge problem with it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously? You either need a new wife or buy another jeep and ditch the RAV4. Let her keep the jeep and get yourself a new one. Win-win.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Seriously? You either need a new wife or buy another jeep and ditch the RAV4. Let her keep the jeep and get yourself a new one. Win-win.
Not getting a new wife. New jeep would be great if I could afford it just not feasible right now. Ultimately would love to buy her a triple black Sahara and keep my white Rubicon.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdw293
Its more of an annoyance than a issue. Just don't want to come off like too much of a Dick when I tell her hands off the jeep. Just can't wait to lift it and put roaring tires on it then she will leave it alone. Did have a thought of removing the drivers door during the week . She couldn't lift the dang thing to put it back on haha. She hates it with the top or doors off causes it messes her hair up.
You WILL come across as a dick, because IMHO you are a major dick. When you marry someone, what is your becomes theirs and what is theirs becomes yours. The way I see it, you have 2 choices. Grow up and deal with it. Or be an ass to your wife and tell her you are not allowed lending, like a child.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me lough... when I sometimes ask my wife to drive the Jeep, her response is - "I like high seating position, but in normal cars. This Jeep is not not a car, it's a beast"...
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Any ideas to make it less appealing for her to drive. Please Help.[/QUOTE]

You could always tell her for offroading purposes you removed the front and rear swaybar and it's really not very street friendly. You'd be worried she flip it and cause herself and others to be in danger.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lift it and remove any side steps. If she can't get in, she won't drive it. Win-win!!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

These are the mods i did. Im happy, but not my mom, cohsin and brother not as much

- Antirock sway bar- more body roll
- Trektop NX- louder inside
- Dynomax off road exhaust system- Louder everywhere
- 35" tires/2.5" lift - hard to get it

I love the way it turned out, but they think i ruined my jeep. I like the way they think lol

Quick Reply: How to keep wife from driving my jeep