Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How much is your insurance?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$240 / 6 months (or $40 a month if you like to see monthly cost). Full coverage with towing/labor added and $1000 deductible. This is with USAA (Military affiliation required - my dad is a veteran and I've been with USAA since I was 16).

This is on a 2011 Sahara 2 door. My insurance went down almost $80 every 6 months versus the same coverage on my 2001 Nissan Frontier. Jeeps have lower insurance costs with my company for some reason.

I'm accident/ticket free (knocking on wood) and a 30 something married male. I have two automobiles on this policy (which gives a discount) so that's something to consider as well (the cost listed here does not include the premium for the other car - I wish it did).

I thought I was paying too much but after looking at what some of the other posters are paying - I'm happy with my rates.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pay over 200 a month for my 4dr JK. I go through USAA and they told me that I have to pay more because I have a 4x4 in Germany!!! way to support the troops.!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, $151/month. 25y/o with a completely clean record. Sucks a little.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

When every one says they have full coverage is it just the state min my coverage is 100/300/100. What are your numbers?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
When every one says they have full coverage is it just the state min my coverage is 100/300/100. What are your numbers?
State minimums refer only to liability coverage (pays for damage to other people's property and health if the accident is the Jeep owner's fault). Most folks have not said what their liability coverage is. Full coverage means they also have comprehensive (storm, theft, etc, damage and loss) and collision (pays for your Jeep when you have an accident that is the your own fault rather than the other person's).

Since most folks are financing their vehicles, the finance company will insist that you have full coverage. Their name is listed on your policy, and if you drop coverage, they will be notified and they will "assign" you insurance. You DO NOT want to pay the going rate for that! Even if you're not financing your vehicle, it's a good idea to keep full coverage on a vehicle for about five years minimum (from new). Because Jeep's hold resale value longer, or if you have financing further out, you may need/want to keep full coverage even longer. Once you actually own the vehicle (no finance company), you need to ask yourself if you're prepared to accept no payment in the event that your vehicle it totaled/stolen. If the answer is yes, then drop everything but liability (which is required by state law). Because vehicles are so expensive, BTW, it's a good idea to keep much higher liability limits--as you have done--than most states require.

Oh, let me add: There is another coverage called uninsured motorist. In some states this covers your vehicle and yourself (medical) if the other person is at fault and doesn't have insurance. In other states (such as Oklahoma), this covers only your medical expenses. Since Oklahoma has 30 percent of drivers driving without insurance (yes, it's illegal), I wish that their uninsured motorist did cover vehicle damage. But, since I have health/medical coverage through Tricare Prime, I do not carry Oklahoma uninsured motorist. If I did and someone was at fault in an accident with me, then Tricare would bill my auto insurance company for my medical bills. Without it, Tricare picks up the tab. I prefer the latter since anytime an insurance company pays you/for you, I feel at risk of a rate increase.

Bottom line: It's difficult to compare everyone's payment because we don't know their coverages, and location has a large effect on how much it costs.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-14-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

$600/yr in NJ. 30 y/o male, clean driving record. On the same policy I also have my wifes 09 nissan rogue (total premium for both vehicle is $1200/yr). My wife is 32 w clean driving record.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW... YOU Guys all pay a lot...
I'm 32, spotless record... I pay around $240/year for comprehensive, with a $250 deductable...
State Farm,
they also insure the house, buisness, wife's car, and life insurance for us. So, I'm sure we get a bit of a discount that way... but... thier prices have always been very good for us.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

$91 a month, SGI is the only choice here so no shopping around
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

$624 per year, for a 2011 JK, the mods are covered too. I am 36, but my wife is first driver on it.

I have a reduction for having 2 cars and a tractor under the same contract.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

~$450 ... per year on my 2010 JKU via USAA.

Quick Reply: How much is your insurance?