Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How are the Unlimiteds offroad ??

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both a 2DR and a 4DR JK... in my opinion the 4DR is a better offroad machine (for how I offroad). I feel much more stable in the 4DR thanks to the long wheelbase. Off camber situations are less hair raising, and I therefore I am able to overcome tougher obstacles that would have me $h****** my pants in a 2DR.

Interior room is well worth it. There is space for extra passengers, plus an actual usable space behind the rear seats.

To each his own however
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2 door but my sister has a four door that I've driven on the trail a few times(comparing when they both had 32's) and I think the 2 door is slightly better off road due to the breakover angle than the 4 door. But the 4 door will be easier to lift higher than 2.5 inches so all in all I think the choice comes down to more of a space issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepPilot88
in my opinion the 4DR is a better offroad machine
Never heard that before
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yoda
Never heard that before
My 2 door TJ and YJ were waaaay more nimble and agile than my 4 door.
But of course they both had the 4L I6 and manual transmisisons......
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

When you have family that rides with you, the 4 door is great!

We had a TJ and it performed pretty good, but it got too small for the kids in the back. So, we bought the Unlimited. The amount of room that we have now is perfect!!! The kids fit comfortably and we now have room for all of our camping equipment and coolers.

Off-road, the Unlimited is still nice. It has it's advantages with the longer wheel base, but it also has it's disadvantages. You can do just as much in the Unlimited as you can do in the 2 door though.

Here is a video of the TJ (the black Jeep with 4.5" lift and 35" tires) and the JK stock (the length of the TJ is shorter compared to the 2 door JK, but I'm sure it's pretty similar). There are also 2 other JK's in this video (a lifted Unlimited and a lifted 2 door).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeL4iySGkHg
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

I bought the unlimited over the 2 door so that I could take the family and their gear out wheeling with me. You give up a little bit of turning radius and break over angle but I will gladly trade that for the added space and better road manners. The unlimited is the only way to go for those of us married with children.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Default I did it

i traded my two door with a lift and lights for a four door, cause of the family. i have to say its a lot nicer
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

I'd have one of each if I could, not economically feasable though.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

i am 6' 1" and sleep in the back of my 4 door when camping. very nice not having to set up a tent.

off road it is very capable and stable. i like it wayyyyy better of road than my old yj

Quick Reply: How are the Unlimiteds offroad ??