Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

hydrolock? cai too cold for winter? and whats next for me...

Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolock? cai too cold for winter? and whats next for me...

I`ve just put my new banks ram air intake and a Jet Throttle body spacer with the superchip in my JK and It is awesome, It feels like the 4.0L now, close anyways! Now, im wondering a couple things about it.. If there a pretty big mudhole in front of me on the trail, I start in 2wd slowly and it stops, i can`t go anywhere anymore in 2wd.. then I put it in 4wd, back up a little and then floor it.. i got 20ft, to go in 2ft of mud / water... is my engine going to hydrolock?

And I live in northern alberta, the jeep is always outside cause i live in a stupid appartment.. in the winter it is pretty dam cold over here,-40C most of the time, hows the air intake going to work, would it be better to put the stock airbox back in there?

oh yeah what should I do next? gears(5.38) driveshafts and lockers? or 4`` Long arm with 37 and wheels? or bumper and rocksliders and winch?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by superjk10
I`ve just put my new banks ram air intake and a Jet Throttle body spacer with the superchip in my JK and It is awesome, It feels like the 4.0L now, close anyways! Now, im wondering a couple things about it.. If there a pretty big mudhole in front of me on the trail, I start in 2wd slowly and it stops, i can`t go anywhere anymore in 2wd.. then I put it in 4wd, back up a little and then floor it.. i got 20ft, to go in 2ft of mud / water... is my engine going to hydrolock?

And I live in northern alberta, the jeep is always outside cause i live in a stupid appartment.. in the winter it is pretty dam cold over here,-40C most of the time, hows the air intake going to work, would it be better to put the stock airbox back in there?

oh yeah what should I do next? gears(5.38) driveshafts and lockers? or 4`` Long arm with 37 and wheels? or bumper and rocksliders and winch?
Check your filter, if your going to be doing this type of wheeling and or just want to splash through puddles get a snorkel! Takes the worrying part out.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get ahold of a k&n dealer and by a dry charger sock! Works awsome
Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
Check your filter, if your going to be doing this type of wheeling and or just want to splash through puddles get a snorkel! Takes the worrying part out.
Yeah im not the kind of guy that looks for mud just to get through it.. but if its in my way its in my way lol..
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_creep
Get ahold of a k&n dealer and by a dry charger sock! Works awsome
that sounds good.. I`ve never heard of it b4.. is it some kind of tissu that the air goes thru but not the water?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Junkie

Or look at an Outerwears pre-filter h__p://www.outerwears.com/

Here are a couple of mine:

Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Any MPG gains with that? And how much easier is it to hydrolock with that vs the stock box? I've been in a situation where my stock box was almost taking on water (video in sig)
I quit checking the MPG of the Jeep. I got depressed when I figured out it was worse than my Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 diesel (the bottom filter picture is on my truck). The bottom of the Jeep filter is about the same height as the OEM snorkle, so I'm not worried about water.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
In my neck of the woods stream and river crossings are common, so I put in a snorkel and extended my breathers for peace of mind.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also HIGHLY recommend relocating your front/rear diff breathers and transfer case breather if your a fan of mud and water.... Best $20 mod you can do IMO.... Also recommend running a snorkel or a custom snorkel/CAI and not worry to much...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4127627739.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	164516   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4075832690.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	164517   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3521424306.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	164518  
Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pre filter doesn't do much but repel water splashes that wouldn't harm the motor anyway. Once the pre filter is soaked it is useless. If water is to the height of the filter nothing will stop it from getting ingested into the engine.

Quick Reply: hydrolock? cai too cold for winter? and whats next for me...