Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hydrolocked?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocked?

Winter's finally arrived in Central Oregon. We've been having snow then rain then more snow then rain then more snow. Can't behave for too long in my jeep so last night came home via the dirt road. It had about four to six inches of snow and many, many slush filled woops, filled to about 10" deep. Barreled through the puddles sending plumes of icy water in every direction, some up and over the jeep. Girlfriend was right behind me in our K1500. Last big puddle before home and the jeep dies, doesn't lock up, just kinda sputters out. Won't restart. Let it sit for a while and still won't start. Clicks when I turn the key, but won't turn over. Doesn't even try to turn over. Wasn't too far from home so strapped the jeep to the chevy's hitch and towed it home. Still wont start this morning. Sounds a lot like a low battery so I try jumping. Same result. Crawl underneath to make sure the starter's connected, all good down under. I opened the airbox and it's packed full of snow and ice under the filter, but none on the motor side of the filter. There's a little bit of water sitting in the bottom of each corrugation of the intake tube leading to the throttle body. That's were I am now. Does the computer shut things down if water starts getting into the intake? Or is the engine already worthless. How does my jeep choke in the same puddle a stock chevy cruises right through? Opinions, next moves? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Pull the plugs and crank it with no plugs. Water doesn't compress well.

Hopefully no internal damage and it will crank.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
Pull the plugs and crank it with no plugs. Water doesn't compress well.

Hopefully no internal damage and it will crank.
this^^^^ also try using a socket on the crank pulley to slowly turn the motor over...if the air box was packed tight with snow it may have choked the motor enough to vapor lock it with fuel...not likely but a thought...pull the plugs and adder if she'll turn over

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked?