Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I hate dealers!!!! What a joke.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I'm posting from my phone so this is kinda the quick version. The sales mgr. Said no negotiation on these numbers. (the ones in the pic) I just laughed.

It was the first time I had done numbers on my JK. I really just wanted to drive the new 2012, I didn't expect to leave with one. I put $10,000 down on my JK and have good equity in it, I'm not giving it away to some dealer who says there is no negotiating, I reminded him he will make money in the hold back as well. He said "what hold back". I dident tell him I know the in's and out's of the trade. It's just sad.

Also the sales guy gave me 10 minutes to test drive the JK with my Mrs. He really said " be back in 10 minutes"!

I knew from the start this was going to be interesting. The main reason for my post was 1. Just to vent and 2. To let the other members see the ridiculousness some dealers try to pull.

*** also they wouldn't show me the actual Invoice. Sketchy.

Last edited by NH-JK; 09-21-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Ya, I'm posting from my phone so this is kinda the quick version. The sales mgr. Said no negotiation on these numbers. (the ones in the pic) I just laughed.

It was the first time I had done numbers on my JK. I really just wanted to drive the new 2012, I didn't expect to leave with one. I put $10,000 down on my JK and have good equity in it, I'm not giving it away to some dealer who says there is no negotiating, I reminded him he will make money in the hold back as well. He said "what hold back". I dident tell him I know the in's and out's of the trade. It's just sad.

Also the sales guy gave me 10 minutes to test drive the JK with my Mrs. He really said " be back in 10 minutes"!

I knew from the start this was going to be interesting. The main reason for my post was 1. Just to vent and 2. To let the other members see the ridiculousness some dealers try to pull.

*** also they wouldn't show me the actual Invoice. Sketchy.
(1) You chose a bad dealership. The dealership I use posts a scanned copy of the invoice on their website. You know the vehicle numbers from the get-go, but that doesn't imply any guarantee of invoice pricing or lower.
(2) It is becoming quite common to shorten the test drive. I got five minutes in four different vehicles before making the decision. That's not to say some dealerships won't give you more time... but the test drive as we know it is abbreviated.
(3) An offer on your vehicle is just that. You should have no issues getting $18k for your Jeep on a dealer trade-in. Don't misconstrue one dealership's lack of flexibility or general shithead demeanor as the explicit value of your vehicle. You can leverage your experience and get a different dealership to work with you if you really want to "upgrade" to a 2012.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Ya, I'll prob hold off a bit, check a few other dealers. Let the newness wear off. That JKU rubi sure was nice!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

I've only owned a Jeep for the last 6 months or so, but to this day I've never set foot on a Jeep dealer lot, and I don't plan to.
I did all my searching online and thru email, eventually I found a dealer in the L.A. area that would honor the tread lightly discount, no trade in; I had already sold that myself.
Some might be better negotiators than me but I was happy w/ the T.L. discount and left it at that.
The dealer delivered the jeep to me and we signed the papers at my place of employment.
No offense to you dealer folks on here but auto dealer staff are routinely rated among the least trusted professions in the U.S.
I have a local shop thats great that will fix almost anything very reasonably, I'll only go to a dealer if I have a major, major problem under warranty, and maybe not even then.
I've still never been to the dealer's site, I threw away thier "free oil change" letter; no thanks, already done.
I don't advise anyone to go in person to any Jeep dealer; it's faster and easier to do all your searching online, do all negotiating thru email, once everything is agreed if you absolutely must drive the vehicle first then and only then go to the dealer. Ask right up front by email if they'll honor the T.L. discount or whatever your target is, if not, no problem, conversation over, move on.
My method might not be for everyone but it was worth it for me to have to actually talk in person to dealer staff for as short a time as possible; which was about 2 minutes.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm trading in my 2008 X with 56000 miles for a 2012 Dozer 4dr. Waiting for delivery but i got over 20K for my 2dr.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Deton8dJK
I'm trading in my 2008 X with 56000 miles for a 2012 Dozer 4dr. Waiting for delivery but i got over 20K for my 2dr.
That's a lot and congratulations but how much you paid for the new one? That's where the money is, the difference.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I just hate dealers. The service, atmosphere, people...hate it all. I'll admit I've gone for parts or something and it's not always bad, but usually it's just a scam IMO. I wanted a new JK with little options and it would have been $30K out the door "haggle free" price. Of course, they kept trying to get me to do a lease deal. I told them no, and left. That day, I walked in and told them I had no intentions of buying when I arrived. I got my current JK, with everything listed below in my sig, with under 20,000 miles for $25K by private party. No tax, no B/S paperwork and greasy people to deal with. Just paid and left. Sometimes you can get a good deal at a dealership, but it's usually, sign the papers and the thing drops 20% in value. I rather be patient and sell my own vehicles. That has always worked better for me. Sadly, people always take low trade in offers just for the dealer to sell it at a price that I would say it way too high.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goaterguy
That's a lot and congratulations but how much you paid for the new one? That's where the money is, the difference.
After my 10 day payoff on the 2008 and a few mods that I added into the financing it will be $17,500
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goaterguy
WHAT HE SAID!!!! I get frustrated when people post up comments on "they only offered me this on my trade".... when you really just need to look at the difference you pay in the deal. You should also look at your final documents and notice what they write up- in almost every case they will jack up the amounts to full retail on each vehicle to inflate their sales numbers, but in the end the DIFFERENCE you pay is what matters. I never negotiate on any single issue (what mine is worth, what yours is worth, etc.) except for the difference. The "what mine is worth, what yours is worth" game is just another mechanism sales people use to separate you from your money.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Don't blame the dealer TOO much..you made a crucial mistake! NEVER negotiate the new vehicle before you negotiate the tradein!!!

You negotiate your trade-in, solidify a number and THEN tell them you are a tread lightly member. Then you have a good deal on your trade-in and you have the automatic decent price with tread lightly.

What the dealer did, he knows he can't make "a ton" off of the price of the new vehicle because of the tread lightly deal, so he will then low ball you on your trade to make up for it.

Go to a different dealer next time if you are serious, negotiate your trade-in before anything else. Then drop tread lightly on their heads and tell them that if they give you that price with your already negotiated trade-in, they have a deal. If not, you're walking. And if you have to, go ahead and walk. Find another dealer, someone will work with you.
In this situation yes, but normally you should negotiate the price of the vehicle you are planning on buying. Otherwise the salesman always has a way of working your trade in into the price combined with down payments and financing and it can get confusing. Fortunately Tread Lightly is a Jeep affiliate and had done all the negotiating for you so you essentially have already done the "haggling". So yes, negotiating the price of your trade in first would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: I hate dealers!!!! What a joke.