Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I have just one complaint...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have just one complaint...

is it just my jeep or did Chrysler use cheap ass clear coat on all of their models??? It seems like just breathing on it scratches and chips the paint job.

Has anyone here tried adding an extra layer of protection? If so, what did you use? I wonder if I can have it clear coated at a body shop.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an '08 yeller one too and mine is great.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. The paint does suck. I noticed so many scratches of it (mostly on fenders) whnen I was washing it. It was kind of discouraging. In comparaison, our Dodge Ram has MUCH better paint than the JK.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is actually the opposite. It seems to have a really thick coat of clear. However it has a lot of orange peel in it.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

id be happy if mine had a decent layer of paint...look really close in bright light and you can see primer It actually looks as if someone stood 6 feet away with a spray can and spritzed paint at the jeep
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

IF IT'S NOT GETTIN SCRATCHED UP....YOUR NOT WHEELIN IT HARD ENOUGH!!!..."THEY WERE BUILT FOR THIS"
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

[rant on]
The paint is SO subpar on these things its unreal! On mine the paint doesn't cover everywhere. Under the rail around the back/top of the tub, around the edges of the hinges (ALL HINGES). I guess we didn't spend enough on these ridiculously inexpensive to produce Jeeps that they HAD to skimp on the fawkin paint!
Makes me mad, and yes, the clearcoat is horrible! Mine looks like its already starting to try to peel and my Jeep is about 10 months old! BOOOO DC
[rant off]
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e3irty
i agree, i have black and my clear coat scratches real easy. after a few times on some narrow trails the branches really scratched her up. i have her in the shop getting the scratches fixed now. i read another post somewhere on here where guys said they put a lot of wax over the clear coat and it really helped. that is my plan when i get mine back
Yea the wife has black also and it really shows dirt as well as scratches. Been using NXT genII, and that's helped. Goiong to take a clay bar to it this summer, then build a few coats of NXT and follow with some pure carnuba for deep richness. That should help.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The paint on mine is fine. In fact, it's actually quite excellent. No orange peel, no feeling that they scrimped on it, no primer showing anywhere it shouldn't (if you ignore under the roll bar covers and carpet), no rust at the hinges, etc. It has some trail pinstriping, but if I hadn't wanted that I'd have bought a real mall cruiser like a Hummer. I bought a Jeep and intend to use it like one.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 AM
JK Jedi

I'm quite impressed with the paint on mine compared to my TJ. Guess it's all relative.

Quick Reply: I have just one complaint...