Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I love the stroker vs. supercharger discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love the stroker vs. supercharger discussion

Some say nay to the 3.8 stroker...if you have an oil-burner and plan to rebuild anyway, why not stroke it PLUS force some air down that intake? Would the minivan be able to take it in terms of longevity? Would the power output be worth the cost?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry Doc, I'm not trying to pick on you.

No way is it worth it based on cost!!

Hesco has a standard bore stroker short block 3.92L displacement for $4493 (price is tentative) +7.2 cubic inches
Hesco has a .030 over stroker short block 3.98L displacement for $4893 (price is tentative) + 10.8 cubic inches
Hesco has a .060 over stroker short block displacement 4.05L (price not listed) + 15 cubic inches

Stroker camshaft is designed to use stock springs. I seriously doubt that this stroker would produce more than 1 HP per cubic inch without extensive top end mods. So you would be lucky to gain 15hp for $5000. That price doesn't include labor or gaskets and such.

A supercharger would be better and cheaper. If you want to do a Stroker correctly; you would need to port the heads, get a custom camshaft and have to modify the intake manifold or have a new sheet metal one fabricated. That would probably cost $3000 - $4000 more. Then add the the cost of a custom tune for a one-of-a-kind engine +$1000. You are now approaching a Hemi or LS swap if you do it yourself.

Why spend money on a rebuild when there are so many low mileage take out 3.8 engines from conversion shops. The 3.8 was never a performance engine. It was a front wheel drive soccer mom engine until Jeep cast a new block for the 07-11 model JKs. There is no demand or need to stroke such a lame engine.

Rob
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alrighty, then! LOL... That saved me a couple hours (at least) of research. I was this close to doing the 4.7 stroker in my TJ before I found a 302 to swap in and thought I'd never swap out an original engine again! PITA. I appreciate the advice, Rob.

Quick Reply: I love the stroker vs. supercharger discussion