Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need some JEEP motivation

Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightTester
You mean to tell me that a grown man, in possession of his faculties, actually believes a VW is better offroad than a Jeep? And he's "scared" to ride in a Jeep? This is too funny! The only answer i can come up with is that he's a eunuch. Significant other has his balls in a jar, said he couldn't have a Jeep, so he's trying to justify the VW purchase to anyone who will listen. And he drives it like a fool as a form of overcompensation. This guy actually believes -- and repeats!!! -- the nonsense his dealer told him (I mean the VW dealer, not the crack dealer).

As far as a comeback goes: In your best Dr. Phil voice, tell him you're sorry he feels compelled to justify his non-Jeep purchase to you, but you'll still be his friend despite his childish, irrational outbursts. And then tell him: "you're smart enough, you're good enough, and doggone it, people like you even though you drive a station wagon."
LMAOOO thanks for that... Great Laughs
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that Touareg video was about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

After consulting the "Guide to Male Verbal Jousting" I've come to the conclusion that the only thing you can do is punch this guy in the face. If he comes after you just drive over some loose gravel, judging by the video he won't be able to keep up.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out this video, man them things have ZERO flex, them guys must spend half their day on three wheels, I lost count how many times just in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXwIQxtI4o
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take him to a friendly trip down to Truckhaven. You have to pass Palm Springs on the way, so he'll feel like he 'touring' with the Touareg. Once he sees the setting at Truckhaven he'll think your off your rocker. Then, once he sees how freakin' fun it is in a Jeep and you have to pull him through the nachos, he'll probably sell his yuppy techno wagon and get a Range Rover (must keep to a certain 'standard', mustn't we...?).

From there you could do Coyote Canyon, just west of Truckhaven. It gets you back into the desert hills, through a couple of creeks, and some football-sized rocks (he won't like that). Look for Desert Bighorn Sheep around Sheep Canyon. It used to be open all the way up to the top. Now it's closed half way so you'll have to turn around an re-enjoy the drive.

But, if you're looking for something more local, try Holcomb Creek, 3N93 (correct me if my memory fails me). It's north west of Big Bear. You start at the east end, and go west. The first obstacle is a shallow creek in front of a 15 foot high hill. You won't get your hubs wet in the creek, but he'll probably get crossed up on the hill. The next hill is steeper, about 25 feet high and may challenge both of you (I made it in my stock Trooper). After a few miles, there's a fork. Take the right one. You'll end up nearly in the same place, but the left fork is much tougher with a rock garden at the end. You can do it stock, but you'll probably struggle. Don't ask your friend to go left. You don't want him to damage his vehicle (let's be nice, kids...). Anyway, the right fork has a nice down hill with a couple of backetball sized rocks near the end. You both will manage it, but he'll immediately see the need for more ground clearance (which you have) and less shiny sheet metal.

Another trail would be Cleghorn right off the 15 freeway a mile or so before getting to HWY 138 going up Cajon Pass. It goes east and up hill. You'll eventually end up at Lake Silverwood. The interesting thing about this trail is the options you'll have. There's the main, graded fire road (read Toureg) and a rough trail that snakes across the fire road many, many times. The fire round is really 2WD territory and goes around most of the hills. The rougher trail go right straight up the hills. Some are easy, some can be darn intimidating. The nice thing is that you're not committed to a really tough trail but instead are treated to as many little side challenges as you'd like. I'm sure you'll find a hill or two that you can do, but will cross him up, high center him, or just plain scare him. In the end you'll both have a great time, great view of Silverwood and San Berdoo/Fontana.

He's some fun: Mormon Rocks. Pass up Cleghorn. Exit HWY 138, turn left over I-15. Then take a right onto the dirt road heading toward the Moab-looking sandstone hills. This is very reminiscent of the real Moab and incidentally was also explored by the Mormons (or so I've read). Anyway, here's the closest area to test your sand driving abilities. There's nothing hard in the way of rock crawling, but it's great to explore. Beware of the trains - they do run down those tracks cut right in the hills. If you stay in the washes, you'll see your Jeep's lighter weight will keep you on top, while he may sink. You'll envy his power though.

White Mountain offers something similar to Cleghorn but starts out north of the Cajon Pass and ends up in Big Bear. There are two really tough hill climbs there. Keep an eye out for "Rat Rock"...

You know, in '90 I bought a new '91 Trooper (old boxy kind) instead of a Jeep because I needed to hall rock band equipment and it had the room. I spent the next eleven years trying to rationalize that it could go where some Jeeps could. I finally sold it and got my CJ-7 with front and rear Detroits. Nothing can explain the difference in the two vehicles. My Jeep just idles through/ up/down where the Trooper with 2" of lift and 32"s would just spin. The Trooper was an awesomely functional vehicle and I loved the crap out of it. But I also hated the crap out of it because it wasn't a real Jeep. Interestingly enough I now have a stock '08 Unlimited X that reeeaaalllly reminds me of the Trooper by it's proportions. I haven't taken it offroad yet and wonder if it will be better than the Trooper. My bet is "yes".

You might also check out the Dirt Devils club. They should still meet the first Tuesday of each month at 7pm at the Lakeside Cafe in Placentia (from the 91 west, exit Lakeside, go north about two miles). These people are super nice and won't leave you stranded if you get stuck or break. I was president for 2 years and will vouch for their character. www.dirtdevils.org

My last question is:
Is there such a thing as a "Touareg wave"...?

Edit: sorry for the looooong post. It's the Niquil.

Last edited by mizedog; 12-29-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Like stated previously punch they guy in the face, and then kick him where his nuts are supposed to be. How obsurd, a 4 wheel drive jetta better then a JEEP. I have heard it all now....
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

-------------------------UPDATE--------------------------------

Guess what?!?!

My Friend just called me and asked how much I'm paying for my jeep, and which dealer I got it from. lololo

He must check out this forum. XD
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now! That road's rated at least a 1 to a 1+! That thing did fine for a street car. Seriously though, X2 on the hooking up with some experienced JKers to find out what yours will do. As a rather new 4x4 driver myself, I am continually amazed.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg that video, how BORING, I couldnt bare to watch the entire thing...pretty damn hilarious that they got out to film him going over the speed bump 30seconds in I've seen bigger speed bumps in mall parking lots ANY car could drive on that "trail" and do just as good and guy directing him to turn to go down that hill wtf was that I hope he got some pinstripes and then cried about it after
Old 01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sarzilla
-------------------------UPDATE--------------------------------

Guess what?!?!

My Friend just called me and asked how much I'm paying for my jeep, and which dealer I got it from. lololo

He must check out this forum. XD
That's funny! Let us know when he shows up at your door step with a Rubicon.

Quick Reply: I need some JEEP motivation