JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/i-want-but-its-just-so-impracticle-drake-hood-hold-downs-127057/)

xerofall 04-19-2010 10:13 PM

I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12600_0202.htm

Saw a few of these on fellow JKer's Jeeps in Moab. Showed my wife. I of course have a wee bit of sticker shock... $130 bucks.

But damn it, I really want them. :rotflmao2: I love them.

My wife asks me what I want for my birthday next week. I just smile. She knows and says I can get them if I really want.... but I just can't do it. Gah!!! There are some other things I need more... new rubber floor mats... front sway bar disconnects... so I just sent her a link to the Bestop lock box that goes under the driver seat for $50 bucks. That's more practicle and I'll need it when the doors are off.

I'll just save my money for the hood hold downs I guess.

But do you guys ever want something that has no value other than it just looks damn cool?

Sharkey 04-19-2010 10:35 PM

I agree...they look cool. Check out some of the threads though...they don't look so cool after they rust. I'm pretty sure they have been taken off the market until the sourcing problem for stainless steel is resolved. Drake sounds like a stand up company. They said they will make things right for everyone who purchased the hold downs and won't sell anymore until the problems get worked out.

When they come back on the market I'll probably get a set.

Mark Doiron 04-20-2010 03:24 AM

One of the things about the older Jeeps is they had better looking latches for the hood. Well, once Drake straightens out their rusting problems, these are better looking than the older Jeep's. So, what the heck, if it suits your taste, go for it!

iggy 04-20-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mskh20 (Post 1661011)
I agree...they look cool. Check out some of the threads though...they don't look so cool after they rust. I'm pretty sure they have been taken off the market until the sourcing problem for stainless steel is resolved. Drake sounds like a stand up company. They said they will make things right for everyone who purchased the hold downs and won't sell anymore until the problems get worked out.

When they come back on the market I'll probably get a set.

x2 once they fix them i'll be ordering them

Rubi-josh 04-20-2010 06:49 AM

I could not imagine paying that much for a hood latch. but really it looks like anyone with some fab work background could make something similar, maybe even a little tougher looking.

Erockhopper 04-20-2010 10:16 AM

Having a Jeep exposes this problem on a daily basis, and this forum does not help either! As for the hold downs, if they would make them in black, I would buy a set and they probaly wouldn't have the rust issues.

fadeout 04-20-2010 10:32 AM

I'm pretty sure we all do this... I started out buying the Jeep....then oh ok maybe a mild lift/tires. Now I'm looking at 5.5 lifts and 37's. It comes with the territory. I constatly find ways of talking myself into these things...I say get um' you only live once.

rozzman10 04-20-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fadeout (Post 1661558)
I'm pretty sure we all do this... I started out buying the Jeep....then oh ok maybe a mild lift/tires. Now I'm looking at 5.5 lifts and 37's. It comes with the territory. I constatly find ways of talking myself into these things...I say get um' you only live once.

this is so true its ridiculous :rotflmao2:

cubezombie 04-20-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by fadeout (Post 1661558)

lol..I traded in my 04 X for a 10 Rubicon and said I'd let it stand stock for while since it had everything i wanted to do to my X..And now i find myself looking at lifts and bigger tires as well...I love being able to make it over obstacles that I couldn't in my X but damn I want more!! :crazyeyes:

Rubi-josh 04-20-2010 12:03 PM

Yeah, just bought a rubicon and told the wife i could leave it stock it was so nice so i could get it.....she fell for it.:synister: