Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12600_0202.htm

Saw a few of these on fellow JKer's Jeeps in Moab. Showed my wife. I of course have a wee bit of sticker shock... $130 bucks.

But damn it, I really want them. I love them.

My wife asks me what I want for my birthday next week. I just smile. She knows and says I can get them if I really want.... but I just can't do it. Gah!!! There are some other things I need more... new rubber floor mats... front sway bar disconnects... so I just sent her a link to the Bestop lock box that goes under the driver seat for $50 bucks. That's more practicle and I'll need it when the doors are off.

I'll just save my money for the hood hold downs I guess.

But do you guys ever want something that has no value other than it just looks damn cool?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...they look cool. Check out some of the threads though...they don't look so cool after they rust. I'm pretty sure they have been taken off the market until the sourcing problem for stainless steel is resolved. Drake sounds like a stand up company. They said they will make things right for everyone who purchased the hold downs and won't sell anymore until the problems get worked out.

When they come back on the market I'll probably get a set.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

One of the things about the older Jeeps is they had better looking latches for the hood. Well, once Drake straightens out their rusting problems, these are better looking than the older Jeep's. So, what the heck, if it suits your taste, go for it!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I agree...they look cool. Check out some of the threads though...they don't look so cool after they rust. I'm pretty sure they have been taken off the market until the sourcing problem for stainless steel is resolved. Drake sounds like a stand up company. They said they will make things right for everyone who purchased the hold downs and won't sell anymore until the problems get worked out.

When they come back on the market I'll probably get a set.
x2 once they fix them i'll be ordering them
Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could not imagine paying that much for a hood latch. but really it looks like anyone with some fab work background could make something similar, maybe even a little tougher looking.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Having a Jeep exposes this problem on a daily basis, and this forum does not help either! As for the hold downs, if they would make them in black, I would buy a set and they probaly wouldn't have the rust issues.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

I'm pretty sure we all do this... I started out buying the Jeep....then oh ok maybe a mild lift/tires. Now I'm looking at 5.5 lifts and 37's. It comes with the territory. I constatly find ways of talking myself into these things...I say get um' you only live once.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
I'm pretty sure we all do this... I started out buying the Jeep....then oh ok maybe a mild lift/tires. Now I'm looking at 5.5 lifts and 37's. It comes with the territory. I constatly find ways of talking myself into these things...I say get um' you only live once.
this is so true its ridiculous
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fadeout

lol..I traded in my 04 X for a 10 Rubicon and said I'd let it stand stock for while since it had everything i wanted to do to my X..And now i find myself looking at lifts and bigger tires as well...I love being able to make it over obstacles that I couldn't in my X but damn I want more!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, just bought a rubicon and told the wife i could leave it stock it was so nice so i could get it.....she fell for it.

Quick Reply: I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs