Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Idea: JK of the month?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am onboard with this. A little tribute to the coolest JKs on the forum.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

ok ok... so when does it start .... at the beginning of next month perhaps.....
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

For the mods/owners to look at as an example...

dakotausaDOTcom 's main page they show the ToTM and a list of mods.

Okay now since I know the owner of DakUSA, and being a previous member, I'm gonna steal ken's guidelines for their ToTM so you can get an idea of how theirs is ran.

They basically open a thread that says they are accepting nominations for TOTM. The members then PM their nominations to the mod/admin in charge of the ToTM until a few days before the 1st of the month. At that time, nominations are closed and the top 3 nominees (re-occurring nominations) are put into a new thread where they are highlighted with an array of pictures, and 4 or 5 questions set up in an interview style theme (What made you buy your dakota, what are your best/worst mods, what are future plans, name something interesting about it), etc etc and then that is when the members can vote via poll on those 3 or 4 nominations. At the end of voting, the ToTM is decided based on polls.

Just some ideas for yall.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sooooo is this ever going to happen??
Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKJeeper
Sooooo is this ever going to happen??
May I be so bold as to nominate Mowabb's BIG GREEN JEEP? Let's get this party started!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

lol, well I assume we'll have to PM nominations to someone who is willing to sort this all out and take charge. Mods? Admins? still talkin bout this?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
May I be so bold as to nominate Mowabb's BIG GREEN JEEP? Let's get this party started!
X2 Great suggestion!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well post some pics of nominee's here until the admins get in gear on this.

Red
Old 04-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just a moderator, and i am going to interject my own opinion here, even though many on this site think the Moderators should be amorphous blobs with no cognitive thought processes of their own.

I like the idea of Jk of the month, it could be fun.

Well, as for not hearing anything here about it, Might i mention: EJS, other jobs, wheeling trips and of course families....hmmm..... that all took up a lot of time the last several weeks...

Please keep in mind that all of the mods are here on a volunteer basis, we do all have other jobs, families etc. as do the Owners. so, keeping that in mind, the more complicated it gets, the less likely it will be to happen. Make sense?

Prizes? dunno, I agree they cause problems. I personally would say nay to that idea for that simple fact ~ headaches. Not to mention cost and delivery.
Donations? maybe, dunno.

The logistics of running a simple contest, really arent all that simple.
  • Who is going to administer it? You'll always get 50+ volunteers, if you get 1 in 50 that sticks it out and actually does what they agreed to you are extremely fortunate...
  • What if any prizes will be given out?
  • Who is going to foot the bill and delivery costs of them, on a monthly basis, times however number of catagories there end up being?
  • What catagories?
  • How many?
  • How to vote?
  • Who counts them?
  • etc...etc...
It isnt as easy to accomplish as it seems on the surface. I have been involved in this on other sites, it has fallen flat on it's face every single time as all the "volunteers" simply wither away and the contest stops, then everyone whines about it, then someone new volunteers, history repeats itself... and so on... and so on...

It has been discussed, i honestly dont know where it stands at the moment, but please do stay tuned to see what unfolds.... I hope it does work, but it is just that, quite a bit of work.
we shall see.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

PITA for the moderators... Probably.

Fun for us... Heck yes!

We already have the option of voting with polls. With a little brainstorming I think this could be a great idea.

Awards could be rather simple, such as a JK sticker, or fun little things like that.

This idea has a"yes"vote on my part.