Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I'm always amazed at how capable a stock sport wrangler is...

Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree. I recently took the Rausch Creek 101 Course with my stock 2012 Rubicon and was amazed at what it can do stock.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by darkhelmet
What number springs did you have stock?
14(both sides)/55. Huge improvement in ride and handling as well. Firm without being harsh.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by glock-n-roll
14(both sides)/55. Huge improvement in ride and handling as well. Firm without being harsh.
Thanks, that 's what I had before I swapped to the 18/59's and rubi shocks... I have a heavy skid plate and rock rails killing some of my lift now though.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202
Do yourself a big favor and air those stock tires down to 18-20 psi. You will be amazed at how much more it can do
This trail wasn't too crazy, so I mostly preferred the extra ground clearance. I must have been within an inch of a LOT of these rocks, so I'm glad I wasn't shaving my belly on the ground all day. I'm looking forward to airing down when I get some bigger tires!!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By all means get out there and wheel those stock Jeeps. I have wheeled bone stock full size Jimmy, 2500 Ram Cummins, and many more things. In all cases I aired down my tires and that is the key to getting along a trail easily. All you have to do is practice good tire placement. I was on a trail a couple of weeks ago with my X and was behind another X and we were following some Rubis. They went up a very steep climb with those nice spots that want to make your tires hang loose and steel your traction if you don't have lockers. The guy in the other X was new at wheeling and tried to get up a couple of times before backing out and telling me to show him the way on the CB. Like I said I have been wheeling a long time and was aired down to my usual 12 psi and drove up without spinning a tire. The other X was able to make it up somewhat following my path. With practice you will be able to see where you need to place your tires to get over obstacles with the least amount of trouble.

I did get several years of practice as a spotter when I didn't have a 4x4 and I think that is what made me a better driver offroad when I did finally get my first, that big Jimmy. I used to take that out with all my Jeep friends and they would constantly tell me that thing would not make it up such and such trail and it always made it, again I have no doubt that the years spotting helped me a lot.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by darkhelmet
Thanks, that 's what I had before I swapped to the 18/59's and rubi shocks... I have a heavy skid plate and rock rails killing some of my lift now though.
I anticipate a new bumper and winch in front and probably a skid plate to protect the oil pan. Hopefully that doesn't kill the lift too bad. I'm not a "go big or go home" type of person, I am a true function over form type. I have no need of a 4"+ lift so if the additions pull it down too much I'll just put spacers in to get back my clearance. To honest, I picked up these Rubi take-off's for a great price and I hated the sloppy feel of the stock suspension. The lift gained was a pleasant bonus but the real reason for the swap was to get a better ride. Now that I have the lift, I certainly want to keep it. So much for that "function over form" thing, LOL.

I feel that I am still "stock-ish" with these mods, just improved the platform to what it should have been right from the factory.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Wink

I anticipate a new bumper and winch in front and probably a skid plate to protect the oil pan. Hopefully that doesn't kill the lift too bad. I'm not a "go big or go home" type of person, I am a true function over form type. I have no need of a 4"+ lift so if the additions pull it down too much I'll just put spacers in to get back my clearance. To honest, I picked up these Rubi take-off's for a great price and I hated the sloppy feel of the stock suspension. The lift gained was a pleasant bonus but the real reason for the swap was to get a better ride. Now that I have the lift, I certainly want to keep it. So much for that "function over form" thing, LOL.

I feel that I am still "stock-ish" with these mods, just improved the platform to what it should have been right from the factory.
I agree with just about everything you just said. I went from the 14/55's to 18/59's, but I had already added a River Raider oil pan/tranny skid and Shrockworks rock sliders... Both are very well made, but HEAVY. As I sit now, I am only 1.25" higher in the front and .25" higher of true suspension lift (taking larger tires out of the equation) than a new Sport that I measured on the lot with 14/55's a couple days ago. My next move is to get the Daystar 3/4" coil spacers and call it a day. Currently, since my suspension is comprised of all Jeep parts, I call it stock(ish).
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanza
This trail wasn't too crazy, so I mostly preferred the extra ground clearance. I must have been within an inch of a LOT of these rocks, so I'm glad I wasn't shaving my belly on the ground all day. I'm looking forward to airing down when I get some bigger tires!!
I would still air down to like 20. It will help performance a lot and at the PSI you won't really lose much if any clearance. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
I would still air down to like 20. It will help performance a lot and at the PSI you won't really lose much if any clearance. Just my 2 cents
Agreed. I aired down to 20 psi on my BFG KM's and you couldn't tell by looking at them that they were that low, but they gripped the rocks very well and I maintained ground clearance.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. I aired down to 20 psi on my BFG KM's and you couldn't tell by looking at them that they were that low, but they gripped the rocks very well and I maintained ground clearance.
I would still air down to like 20. It will help performance a lot and at the PSI you won't really lose much if any clearance. Just my 2 cents, I've hit fire pit at rausch from every angle on stock tires on a wet day. Stock sports can do work

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-179066576.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	453190

Quick Reply: I'm always amazed at how capable a stock sport wrangler is...