Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep for bike?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love Jeeps, but street bikes are my true passion. I couldn't live without either. One or the other, either is an awesome toy, the fun rides are going to require higher $$ maintenance etc. Commuter car would be good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729[1].JPG
Views:	76
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	450847  

Last edited by k0260; 04-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Sell the Jeep. Buy something affordable and practical....which isn't a bike either.

Don't be that guy.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bikes appear to be cheap, but they are not. Tires are expensive, you'll need to buy gear, and maintenance on bikes is much more frequent. I would not recommend buying a motorcycle to save money on commuting. A bicycle on the other hand is a good way to save commuting money.

If you really are trying to save money, find an older honda or toyota and drive it. cheap to maintain, good gas, cheap to insure, etc.

Most people spend a more money than they need to, also check your spending - watch eating out, buying soft drinks, try to cut back on alcohol if you regularly consume, etc.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Jacket 150$, helmet 100$, gloves boots etc. and it's like a jeep with all the accessories and possibilities and its just as hard to control those urges
Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the Jeep and buy a 4 door compact car in respectable condition.

A bike makes financial sense, but is not practical when your only source of transportation. You know what you need to do; so do it.

8 years ago I had a Dodge Ram that I loved, however it got 12mi per gallon and I was travelling 30,000 a year. I traded it in on a Corolla and saved several thousand every year. By taking a few years to focus on the right priorities I was able save up and purchase two vehicles I have always wanted, a Wrangler and a WRX. Delayed gratification doesn't sound like fun, but it's usually the right way to go.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Buy a cheap commuter, and put storage insurance on the jeep. than insure when you wanna go wheeling for a day or two at a time.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you are still young. You have plenty of time for future "toys" like the Wrangler. Get rid of the Wrangler and buy something "practical". Work on getting out on your own first.

As far as motorcycles, I spent years in the military owning nothing but crotch rockets for transportation, dodging city traffic. I should be dead 1000 times (but what fun I had!). They do get good mileage and some are easier to maintain if you want to put up with the risk and sometimes environmental discomfort.

But if you will start out with no riding experience on a new bike in heavy traffic, IMO your risk is way too high. There is nothing quite like the pucker factor of riding at night in the pouring rain and coming up to smooth plate or even grated steel on the road while on 2 wheels, especially on a curve. A pallet or muffler in the roadway at night is also an entertaining excercise in reflexes. A semi blowing a tire and catching part of that in the chest hurts. Things that would only damage a car can kill you.

I still have a bike, but I can be a daytime, fair weather rider now.

My advice, buy an economical used car instead.

Last edited by Yankee; 04-26-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubichronic
Buy a cheap commuter, and put storage insurance on the jeep. than insure when you wanna go wheeling for a day or two at a time.
This guy hit it dead on. Cheap DDs can be fun also. Get like a old Datsun 510 or something along those lines. Fun to tinker on and u don't see them often.

Quick Reply: Jeep for bike?